my house smells like bad skunk, why?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

lanadana

Re: my house smells like bad skunk, why?

Post by lanadana »

Did you ever find out where or what the smell was coming from? I have the exact same issue in Oakland CA.

barrett

Post by barrett »

It went away after a few weeks. Never found out what caused it and it never came back.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

I would reckon, then, you had something die in a wall. That happened once when I was in high school. A mouse got trapped in the wall and died. Stank like tarnation for about two weeks. :shock:

On a side note concerning the skunk smell--where I work is in a rural area, with all kinds of critters who get active at night. It has been many a morning in the spring and fall when I open the place up I discover the lobby stinks to all-get-out of polecat. And I mean BAD! One evening I had to go by the office around 10:30 at night because I remembered I forgot a project on my desk that I needed. When I got out of my car to unlock the door, the unmistakable smell of skunk was all over the door. The next morning, the outside had no odor, but the lobby reeked. I don't know if those critters were in season, marking territory, or what, but it's getting about that time of year again here and I dread it! Maybe you had a "visitor" marking under your house?

Aroth01

Post by Aroth01 »

Our house smells like skunk every morning we wake up. The skunk smell is not outside but just in my living room and kitchen. This smell is driving us crazy and it is embarrassing when we have company stay over. We first thought it was our oil scented plug in and we removed them all the smell went away for a couple days but woke up this morning and it is back. The smell will go away after airing the house out and spraying with deodorizer. We have found no skunk any where near our house and our dog does not smell like skunk. Any ideas where the smell coul be coming from???

kporterf2

Post by kporterf2 »

Has anyone pinpointed their exact issue regarding the skunk smell? I am having the same issue in both of my bathrooms. We are on a crawl space. My husband is suspicious of mold, and we are even having someone come out tomorrow to inspect for mold. It is stronger near the vents in both of our bathrooms. We have been running a dehumidifier to help with moisture, but the smell isn't getting any better. We recently replaced flooring in our home (kitchen, dining, living room and hall). I am not sure if we stirred up some mold spores, or if the banging may have done something to the ductwork causing the issue. Weird how the smell is only in the 2 bathroom vents though and not in any other room.

LorenaBlairBOp

adam4adam.com

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

Feminist illness

"She was at a friend's house last Sept. 8, sitting in front of the live stream of the TechCrunch Disrupt hackathon on her laptop and iPhone. Entrepreneurs were showing off www.afroromance.com review many, And two young australian men, donald Boulton and Jethro Batts, Stood behind the podium to give their demo. 'Titstare is an app where you take photos of yourself gazing tits,' mister. Boulton premiered, As photographs of women's chests on a cellphone flashed on the watch's screen behind him.

"Then tasks got worse. the following day, Pax Dickinson, Who was her business partner in a set up called Glimpse Labs, beyond the chief technology officer of the news site Business Insider, Took to Twitter to defend the Titstare pair against accusations of misogyny.

further, Shevinsky, 35, appears to be quite the veteran of the crossroads where technology and love (Or what sends for love) find. Her LinkedIn profile indicates that she's been the cofounder of several online dating apps and sites. Not that there's anything wrong with this. But it does suggest that Shevinsky can scarcely represent herself as innocent of dating sites and their potential for technologically facilitating insta sex and its variants. often times, The name of these now defunct start ups was MakeOut Labs, And Shevinsky's standard publicity photo shows her grinning flirtatiously by a veil of hair over one eye.

So it does seem a mite hypocritical for Shevinsky to have gotten feministically huffy all of a sudden herein she wrote for Business Insider shortly after quitting Glimpse:

Just to start, one particular TitStare "event" Was a faiytale (an attractive funny one, even) Whose focus on, contrary, has not been women but horny guys (you can view it here on Valleywag, Whose crafting articles staff is, or at least pretends to be, surely outraged). there seemed to be, yet still, At least one child in the TechCrunch end user, And TechCrunch later apologized for TitStare and another off color joke speech.

Naturally the New York Times dutifully presented the Shevinsky incident as the grounds why there are relatively few women in tech: "Brogramming" Culture really makes them feel out of place. No mention of the fact that most women don't want to be in tech to begin with. They're notoriously underrepresented in the college STEM fields that would qualify them to work as programmers or engineers. (It should be noted that according to Shevinsky's LinkedIn profile, Her own academic heritage is business, Not computer.) But instead of focusing on right after between the sexes that account for their career choices, The aim seems to impose the strident humorlessness of feminist ideology on all places where men work.