Antique electrical wall receptacles

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

D-man

Antique electrical wall receptacles

Post by D-man »

I'm still doing some research on these.....but they are set up to accept the standard NEMA 1-15 plug (common today on most 120 volt appliances, lamps, irons, stereos, televisions, etc.) as well as a tandem blade plug.

They're kinda funky looking but they are the precursors to the more common t-slot receptacle (center receptacle in this pic):

Perhaps someone here on this board happens to have a few of these in their home?

Rob

Post by Rob »

Interesting. Never seen that style before. Most of my upstairs still has the "modern tandem/parallel" receptacles, and some with rather fancy designs on them. Here's some good reading on antique electrical devices that I stumbled upon when researching the perkins switch I have in my office.
http://www.princetonimaging.com/library ... index.html

EDIT:
I believe I actually found your receptacles: :)
http://www.princetonimaging.com/library ... p0866.djvu
Rob
100 year old houses
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

D-man

Post by D-man »

Rob is there any way you can view what's on there without having to download? I'm on government computers (no other choice at this time) and they'd not like me if I downloaded anything.....

ella

Post by ella »

D-man I also have those type of outlet

The Brand on mine is Eagle.

D-man

Post by D-man »

Ella, are there any dates on that receptacle? I'm curious as to when these were manufactured.....as well as why the design was changed over to the t slot receptacle.....

Jim K in PA

Post by Jim K in PA »

I have several of these that I removed from our old family room. That room was constructed sometime between 1946 and 1960. Several were behind built in cabinets a previous owner put up in the late 1970s, and they were still live!

ella

Post by ella »

No, no dates I even popped off the back cover to verify. This house was built in 1914 and underwent a major remodel in 1932 so I'd say either one of those are the most likely time period.

brianm

Post by brianm »

Yes, I've seen them on an electrical contractor forum that I visit, that reminds me!...

I don't have them in my house though. I've looked, but haven't found any vintage devices around my house. You'd think there would be at least remnants of old wiring, but there's none.

D-man

Post by D-man »

Jim I'm kind of suprised your house would have them.....the word I'm getting is the t slots came out in the 30's and that's what was avaliable until the 60's...and that the 4 slot receptacles were avaliable before the t-slots and discontinued maybe???....perhaps they were still being made after the t slots came out??????

However I also believe the NEMA 1-15 receptacle was also avaliable at the same time....anyone know for sure?

Ella is your 4 slot receptacle polarized?

saint pauli girl

Post by saint pauli girl »

We have two of the antique tandom slots on our mantle.Our electrician said if we updated the panel, they would have to go. I like using them for mantel lights and Christmas lights. Our wiring was updated from k and t to breakers years ago. Do you think there might be a problem with using them? The electrician didn't indicate there would be a hazzard. What do you think?