yet another floor refinish question

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Jim Koepfler

yet another floor refinish question

Post by Jim Koepfler »

My wife and I recently became the proud stewards of a circa 1723 house. We are fortunate that most of its major renovations were done about 25 years ago. At that time (so I'm told) some of the original oak floors were replaced with wide plank pine. In 2 rooms, the floor is very dark with the varnish worn on some spots. My initial thought was to go over the floor with a furniture "refinisher". It seems a "kinder" approach for cleaning and restoring them. Has anyone ever tried this approach or is sanding still in my future? (The floors are reasonably level) On another note, I tore up some (gross) carpeting in one of the bedrooms to expose more wide plank pine, though this floor is painted. Should I use a chemical stripper and/or sanding to remove the paint? It appears that there is only one coat to contend with. Thanks for your valuable input!

Jim

koepfler@gis.net

K. C.

Re: yet another floor refinish question

Post by K. C. »

I've used Formsby's on floors, instead of sanding, and it worked just fine. Give it a few days to dry thoroughly before putting on your finish. As far as the pine floor question, why strip it? If it was originally painted, it's probably cheap wood that won't take to sanding and clear finishing well. If the paint is intact, fill the divots and cracks, and prime the bare spots, then paint with a good enamel. Now's your chance to get creative, like a stenciled border, or a pattern to look like linoleum.

Ken Holmes

Post by Ken Holmes »

I've never used strippers on a floor, but I have on several occasions, with especially nice hardwood floors that I didn't want to sand, attacked them with a paint scraper. If the floors are very dark, they're probably covered with varnish, which often will yield quite easily to a sharp scraper and (more than a little bit) of stamina. Once the finish is off, a light hand sanding will be needed. But as with stripper, you'll have removed the finish without taking away any of the nice old wood itself.

kholmes@mail.oldhouseweb.com

Jim Koepfler

Post by Jim Koepfler »

Since I have two floors with the dark varnish, I think I'll run an experiment! I'll attack one with a scraper and one with a refinisher. May the best floor win! My third painted floor will have remain that way for awhile. It is in "fairly" good shape as it is, so there is no rush to strip it. Besides, I think the distressed look is all the rage now! Thanks to both of you for your advice.

Jim

koepfler@gis.net