old kitchens

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

rehabbingisgreen

old kitchens

Post by rehabbingisgreen »

I am looking at the probability of buying an old brick house. She dates to about 1880. The ONLY thing in the kitchen that hasn't been horribly remuddled is a built in, along about half a wall. I want to rip everything else out of the room and bring it back to the beauty it should have been. The fridge and stove are along the wall and the sink is in a built in ugly panneling covered bar.

Does anyone by chance have access to or know where I can find photo's of kitchens that date to that era? I need some help here to do this right!

Josiecat

Re: old kitchens

Post by Josiecat »

Here are photos of the kitchen in my 1892 house. The floor to ceiling cabinets on the wall are original.

The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas

wletson

Post by wletson »

Josiecat, those cabinets are awesome! :shock:
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren

Josiecat

Post by Josiecat »

Thanks! I love them and they are extremely well made and also in excellent condition. They were painted at some point and a PO stripped them back to wood. I love to show them off to visitors. It's hard to find a kitchen where someone hasn't ripped to guts out of it. :cry:
The Wellcome House
Topeka, Kansas

wletson

Post by wletson »

I'm planning on a complete re-do of our kitchen this winter. I'm saving those pictures for inspiration. Kinda as a leaping off point for me. You're helping to design a kitchen in the great white north! :D
The kitchen in the schoolhouse was put in in the late 60's, so it has more than done its duty. Not that there is anything that would actually be "correct" for a kitchen in my case, but being as the school was built in 1883, it will make some sense.
warren

rehabbingisgreen

OH those cabinets are gorgeous!! Your kitchen looks nice. The one I am looking to buy just looks all wrong. Most of the wood in the house we're hoping to buy was painted white and you can believe I am so thankful no one touched the kitchen cabinets.

Daniel Meyer

Post by Daniel Meyer »

wletson wrote:Josiecat, those cabinets are awesome! :shock:
Seconded! Very nice! I've saved the pic for inspiration!

Our kitchen is a 13'x13' empty room. That "wall-'O-cabinets" would make a dandy pantry! Think I'll build some!

Does the window go down behind the kitchen sink cabinet? We are facing a similiar delimma.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com

wletson

Post by wletson »

It's not exactly what you asked for, but here is a site that I absolutely love this guys work

https://www.davidtsmith.com/newsite/home.asp

Not that I'd ever be able to afford this stuff, but wow! :shock:
warren

Josiecat

Post by Josiecat »

Yes, that window does go behind the sink. Doesn't bother me but I have to be careful not to drop anything down there since it's hard to get to it.

I think the PO owner did a wonderful job with the kitchen, however no insulation was added when she added that set of cabinets with sink and dishwasher and my pipes freeze up in the winter. It's on my list of things to do. I use a pipe warmer in the meantime. BBBRRRRRR!!!
The Wellcome House
Topeka, Kansas

rehabbingisgreen

wletson wrote:It's not exactly what you asked for, but here is a site that I absolutely love this guys work

https://www.davidtsmith.com/newsite/home.asp

Not that I'd ever be able to afford this stuff, but wow! :shock:
OH I LOVE so much there. It gave me quite a few ideas! I NEED a cabinet to put the microwave out of site.

One of my biggest issues is I want to keep my fridge but it's definitely new looking (big white side by side) and I am trying to figure out a lower cost way to ensure it looks ok even if I can get the rest of the kitchen to look more period.

The one kitchen cabinet keeper is a dark wood, I'd say mahogany to cherry tone. I'm wondering if it would look ok to do any additional cabinets in white instead of trying to match up the wood color. I think the contrast would likely be ok and wouldn't be as dark as more dark wood in there. I'm thinking some freestanding cabinets like a hoosier and shelving on the walls. I don't know about counter space yet, I haven't thought that far yet or if I will move the sink out of the bar or build another. Any thoughts on dark wood and white in the same room? Maybe more of a soft white, matte finish, not glossy.