Interior drainage trench stone foundation

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Gordsid

Interior drainage trench stone foundation

Post by Gordsid »

My winter stay in shape project - trenching beside my stone foundation inside house- but it is not sitting on wider footing stones so I am worried about destabilizing the foundation (5’-8”headroom 4-10 in ground). Old crappy concrete slab is poured right at the bottom of the bottom stones. Water is coming in via hydraulic pressure at bottom of foundation and up through slab cracks and slab to stones joint- should I trench for the perimeter drainage in about a foot or can I do it right next to the stones? Was thinking of pouring a curb to support the stones when done and frame walls on top of it with vapour barrier against stones - the stone walls don’t leak but the mortar is a little suspect in areas…… just really worried about the foundation while I have it all trenched say 8-10” below bottom stone - in the wet winter time - thinking about removing slab and adding vapour barrier and repouring after curb is in - don’t want to lose any headroom!! I’m 5-8 and already have a lumpy head from being down there!! Thanks ahead for any support on this - Gord