Kitchen Disasters - DIY Show

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

catgb56

Kitchen Disasters - DIY Show

Post by catgb56 »

"I try to recycle everything I can - including the kitchen cabinets but these are old and built to last so they will have to be demolished" - WTF?!? What the heck kind of statement is that? These guys are just idiots!!! Nice old cabinets that just needed some love and understanding - but opps, I forgot - new and shiney is better. :evil:
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon

KristenS

Re: Kitchen Disasters - DIY Show

Post by KristenS »

So very, very frustrating. I've tried to stop watching tv all together. Cause it just makes my blood boil.

I find that I have such very different priorities than so many people around me. TV just makes it that much more apparent.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

yep I was watching a show on HGTV about this kitchen reno company in New York city. I think the show is called Kitchen cousins . Anyhow they were renovating a kitchen for this girl who had been gifted a house by her parents. Her kitchen consisted of some nasty 60 cupboards that were not functional but also a beautiful built in pantry with what looked like
a pull out pastry shelf. The brothers just went at it with a sawzall. Outrageous! I would die to have something like that in
my house. :x
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

airgrabber

Post by airgrabber »

Reminds me of THIS infamous OHW picture from back in the day. Any other old-timers remember this old house "renovator" proudly attacking original tongue & groove butler's pantry cabinets with a sledgehammer? :x
Attachments
pantrydemo.jpg
pantrydemo.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 10085 times
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival

catgb56

Post by catgb56 »

airgrabber wrote:Reminds me of THIS infamous OHW picture from back in the day. Any other old-timers remember this old house "renovator" proudly attacking original tongue & groove butler's pantry cabinets with a sledgehammer? :x
OMG - maybe they were just joking in that picture....I would kill for those cabinets....eeeccckkk!!!
My S/O keeps asking why I watch those shows when all I do is end up yelling at the tv and them complaining what morons these hosts and homeowners are....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

catgb56 wrote:
airgrabber wrote:Reminds me of THIS infamous OHW picture from back in the day. Any other old-timers remember this old house "renovator" proudly attacking original tongue & groove butler's pantry cabinets with a sledgehammer? :x
OMG - maybe they were just joking in that picture....I would kill for those cabinets....eeeccckkk!!!
My S/O keeps asking why I watch those shows when all I do is end up yelling at the tv and them complaining what morons these hosts and homeowners are....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Haha! I was just starting to come around here when that person joined and proudly posted that picture of them making progress. Ooooh the backlash!
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

catgb56

Post by catgb56 »

Too bad I wasn't around then would have loved to read allthe comments....did that person ever come back here?

airgrabber

Post by airgrabber »

catgb56 wrote:Too bad I wasn't around then would have loved to read allthe comments....did that person ever come back here?
That pic was the real deal, catgb56. I want to say her username was Kate-something. "Kate-something" was proud of her demo, too. As Lynners indicated, the OHW backlash was sudden and unrelenting. I can't find the thread anymore but I don't remember her posting much after the firestorm she endured by merrily showing off that one incendiary picture. :evil:
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

I often ask myself why the POs of my humble but overmuddled house chose to eradicate all of the original Victorian features.
Oh what I would give to see what my house looked like in its "Hayday". :x :x
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

I remember that posting! In her defense, I think many new home owners have an overwhelming need to make the house their own and don't take the time to live in the house or become educated about the value of old houses before they make irreversible changes.
Diane