waterproofing old stone foundation home.. i need some help!

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jharkin

Re: waterproofing old stone foundation home.. i need some help!

Post by jharkin »

I'm sure the foundation experts will chime in shortly and tell you putting the waterproof coating on the inside was a bad idea. The water that was seeping in before is now building up pressure on the outside of the wall.

Same reason why we are told to only use lime mortar and never anything with hydraulic cement on our stone foundations. The lime mortar will allow the water to pass through without failing.

-Jeremy

Sweet Lew

Post by Sweet Lew »

Glad to see this thread moving again after my last post last summer. :D

We decided to hold off on waterproofing...For now. We were going to do the bentonite around the outside of the foundation and then do drain tiles inside the basement. For now, the basement is dry after a monster storm, but I am getting pressure cracks all over the basement floor (Probably super thin concrete).

One problem we do have is that the PO parged the interior walls and then used a waterproof paint. I had effervesence all over the walls last year. I used a wire brush to clean it up, but it's already coming back. :? I think we will need to remove all that parging soon and get the walls re-tuckpointed.

For anyone interested in sodium bentonite, here is a vid from the company we spoke to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZh7OgDcBE8

link to site: http://www.greatlakeswaterproofing.com/index.html
1908 Farm House

melissakd

Post by melissakd »

Wow, this thread is packed with hard-core expertise!!!! I for one don't want to lose track of it, so since I've posted I'll get an e-mail notification I can file away. I may have need of this data in future.

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I dont know if lime mortar is hard to get... they just don't have it at the home despot.

In addition to HB's recommendation of the Limeworks you can also make your own using HB's recipe in the reference forum here if you are ambitious. I used his formula and found it was not hard at all, just time consuming - and I have no masonry experience whatsoever.

To make the mortar I got a bag of hydrated masons lime. Any local masonry supply house will carry it.

good luck
-Jeremy

RaeSzafir

Post by RaeSzafir »

So I am digging this thread up because it has finally become time to deal with my terrible, dank, damp fieldstone foundation. I plan on taking some pictures this weekend and I will post them to demonstrate what I am dealing with. I feel like I have read so much what to do and not to do that I am more confused than before and that I do not even know where to start with this project. Are there any success stories out there from those that have attempted this work? Most of these posts are this is what I am going to do/ thinking of doing. Anyone out there that did it and can tell me about their successes/failures?

michaelskis

Post by michaelskis »

Wow, this thread is full of great advice. My wife and I both want our basement to be dryer because right now the storage of anything is a bad idea. It does not flood but the floor does get wet when there is a significant rain or spring runoff. There is also one spot that allows water to pour in because of a low spot in the driveway that seems to push water over the garden bed and against the foundation.

To make matters worse, there are several areas where the floor was poorly patched or is cracked and we get water leeching up.

Our biggest challenge is trying to keep water away from the foundation. We have a few gutter extenders and a 50 gallon rain barrel, but the water still collects in the basement.
Anyone have any suggestions?
1890 Edmund Barry House
Heritage Hill Neighborhood
Grand Rapids, Michigan
http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/

nirie1

Re: waterproofing old stone foundation home.. i need some he

Post by nirie1 »

Not tyring to hijack the post but I am hopin some of the experienced folks can advice me what to do.

I own one side of block twin home built in late 1800’s. The FO didn’t do much except paint or cover up things. Right now my basement has a faucet running in it everytime it rains. It seems to be coming from the walls where there is no longer any mortar. The rest of the mortar on the 4+ story twin home on my side seems to be good a few chips missing here and there but the basement below grade is the worst. Its light tan dirt in almost all of the mortar joints. It’s a balloon frame home and looking up at the exterior basement wall I can open areas where the floor joints meet the block frame and see sun light from missing mortar. My neighbors have no water intrusion there basement mortar is fine. I saw it myself. Their property is also properly graded. I have had contractors tell me multiple things

1. Get a sump pump and French drain (fyi there is evidence of a sump pump but no drain)
2. Parge the walls inside and out, remove center concrete walkway (which is cracking anyway), regarde the area on the side of the house and put cement next to the house. He also said he would use an eposy on the outside.

My thought was the obvious repoint the block walls and maybe parge the outside using something like Ames Blue Max to keep the water from coming into the block at all. But from reading your post I need the walls to breath

i am a single mom going thru a hard financial time and need the basement fixed to modify my mortgage. Will the bentnote injections work, should I parge using limestone? What about the inside the FO painted what looks like drylock which is peeling off as well. I need to make the place dry using the best but most inexpensive long term method possible.

Is there any method I could do myself? The mortgage company will be sending someone out to inspect after the repairs are done so the most recent contractor said at the least parge the inside which will temporally stop the water (a few years) and satisfy the mortgage company for now. FYI I live in South Jersey about 15 minutes from the Ben Franklin and Walk Whitman bridges so any contactor suggestions are accepted as well. LOL
Attachments
vines keep coming back
vines keep coming back
P031710022.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 15848 times
sidewalk way
sidewalk way
P031710024.jpg (170.82 KiB) Viewed 15848 times

CameronRobertson

Post by CameronRobertson »

This is really great advice here, what with all the flooding in the last year or 2. I've got a few ideas that might help those who might not be able to refurbish their whole basement for storage. We're lucky the weather isn't so humid, and it's mostly the ground that gets damp. Simplest solutions I can think of without having to go for an overhaul would be to elevate, elevate, elevate. And compartmentalise and ventilate as much as possible!
Cameron Robertson

CameronRobertson

Post by CameronRobertson »

This is really great advice here, what with all the flooding in the last year or 2. I've got a few ideas that might help those who might not be able to refurbish their whole basement for storage. We're lucky the weather isn't so humid, and it's mostly the ground that gets damp. Simplest solutions I can think of without having to go for an overhaul would be to elevate, elevate, elevate. And compartmentalize and ventilate as much as possible!
Cameron Robertson

FOHRSKI

Post by FOHRSKI »

Unfortunately, I came upon information like on this thread too late. My question revolves more around, how worried should I be now that I've had work done on my basement foundation.

My house was build in 1865, field stone foundation, and a "Michigan basement". 25% 6'high basement, 75% crawspace. I didn't have any significant leaking in the walls, other than in one corner, when it rains extremely heavy, which could possibly be a result in my water table rising with hairline cracks on the floor in that corner.

I ended up hiring a contractor to do an exterior waterproof on my stone foundation walls. They excavated around the entire house down to the footing (which was only 6" high). They cleaned out all the dirt out of the gaps in the wall with an air compressor, and pointed the entire wall with portland cement for the most "even" up to down finish they could. They then tarred the rest, put up visquin, then a plastic dimple board, tarred & flashed the top of the dimple board. They backfilled the excavated areas with the original dirt/clay, other than about 20% 30a stone with a french drain, that leads to my sump pump in the basement.

My stone foundation wall is thick. I'd say between 1'6" - 2' wide. Reading on how portland can "destroy" lime-based mortar stone foundation walls......Should I start worrying that I caused a real near-future problem for my foundation?

Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Also.....my stone foundation stops about 1' above grade level, before the house brick starts. (House wall brick is 3 bricks deep all the way to the roof, btw). So, I was thinking of slapping on some cultured stone between grade level & where the brick starts. Is that a bad idea? Does this lime-based foundation need to breath?