Buying a 1908 house

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

pqtex

Re: Buying a 1908 house

Post by pqtex »

sooth wrote:.

As for a small island instead of a peninsula, that's pretty much what I'm thinking of doing in my kitchen. But I want something that looks more like an old piece of furniture with drawers/storage.
I found a metal cabinet with a formica top at Habitat Re-Store for $20! I was going to use it as a work bench/tool storage in my shed. Before I could move it out there, canning season started, and I needed more work space. I "temporarily" put the cabinet smack dab in the middle of my kitchen. Instant island.

Right now it's kind of ratty looking, but I have already envisioned plans of removing the top and putting in a for-real butcher block top. I think I will either cover the sides with beadboard or paint them. It has two nice drawers on glides, plus a 2 door storage cabinet below. It really has been a perfect fit for my kitchen. All by accident!

My great-grandmother had a biscuit table in here. My parents have it and I want it so bad! It really belongs back in here! It's solid wood, beautiful turned legs, and the perfect height for a short woman to roll out biscuits.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

I'm a little late to the party but I've enjoyed all the posts so far. I love Foursquares. You have four domers, it looks like. That will make nice space and light up in the attic. For our kitchen, we did two different colors of cabinets. The uppers are yellow and the lowers, brown. Looks nicer than it sounds.

I've been to downtown St. Charles and it's a sweet place.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

PowerMuffin wrote:Yep, I love this idea too. Keep your good pieces and add to it. Have you seen David Smith's kitchens? I love his mismatched style. This is what I am going for.
https://www.davidtsmith.com/newsite/custom_kit.asp
Diane
I had not seen those before - thanks, those are excellent inspiration!
Kansas. 1911. wrote:You have four domers, it looks like. That will make nice space and light up in the attic.
The attic is one of our favorite parts of the house. It is finished as one enormous room, about 475 sqft, with the 4 dormers bringing in loads of light, as you say. Also, the house sits at the crest of a hill, and with that plus being up on the third floor there are some pretty cool views from some of the attic windows; to the north, beyond the treetops you can see part of a bridge that crosses the Missouri River several miles away (Discovery Bridge, Hwy 370, for those familiar), and from another we have a great view of the beautiful old church that is a block from the house. The ceiling's vaulted with a few exposed beams. I think the PO somehow got a pool table up there, because we found a pool cue there. For us it will be a play room and poker room, with a wet bar eventually.

Posted this earlier in the thread but this is currently my only photo taken in the attic:
The Edward A. Ohlms House, c. 1908
Historic Old Town, St. Charles, Missouri

LorenaBlairBOp

afrointroduction sign up

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

10 Best Ways To Check online dating service personals Profiles

Online online dating services offer access to a variety of people that we otherwise would have struggled to meet. Not everyone checks dating profile tips if they are uploading a personal listing. this means, Some guys and girls will have good profiles you want while other ads will leave you indifferent.

one of the leading things that everyone is concerned about when dating online: How do you discover whether a profile is genuine or not? Is this gorgeous woman or sophisticated man really seeking a partner or just playing the field? How to understand that people are who they say they are?

1> Review their introduction photos. actions serious usually include several pictures that show them in different environments. If there is just one photo or pictures seem blurry, That's a sign of just one trying to be evasive. It's easy anybody to take plenty of pictures on their mobile, Ask a pal or a passerby. Photos that are too glamorous may be a concern as well. Crooks love using images of foreign personalities downloaded online. Over processed or grainy illustrations are the sign that the person didn't just upload a file as it was. trustworthy profiles have a few photos that appear recent (By the swimwear style, for instance) but they are rather on the casual side. You could also search for copies of photos online if in doubt. Sites like Tineye offer other image search. See if it pops up under an individual's name.

2> Assess the age range of partners they would like. People who try to use others for financial gains often specify unrealistic age limits. A young woman may be attempting to find men that are much older. A middle aged man could seek women older than himself. Such listings should definitely raise suspicion. One tip to remember about fake online dating site profiles, They try to emphasize that "Age is irrelevant, this is because scam artists truly don't care whom to profit from and how old their victims are.

3> putting an emphasis on honesty and sincerity. Cheats tend to communicate a lot about honesty. Players try to create an effect they are seeking one true love. Both types refer to moral values and emphasize their devotion to ethics. if someone mentions honesty and sincerity, It doesn't necessarily mean that they are swindlers, But due to other signs it charmedate is a prominent red flag.

4> The profile contains nothing that could put pupils partners off. The text is carefully crafted to be desirable to anyone. It's rather generalized. for anyone who is requirements that cut off any particular group. The content includes only what you desire to hear.

5> Spelling and grammar are inconsistent with the bio. Phony listings may feature poor grammar and punctuational, Peculiar assortment of words. the explanation for bogus ads are usually created by foreign scam artists. the other way round, Some false listings could have a text with out any errors. Run the text of the profile through the free plagiarism checker like Quetext or Grammarly for copies. If you find other ads concentrating on the same phrases, the worry.

6> the guest is located overseas. even if you seek to date locally, Somehow you receive a contact from an overseas admirer. The profile usually features a location inside of your country but in a different city. when preparing communicating, They appear at first sight temporarily overseas. This is the most concerning red flag that tips you about their dating profile being unethical. (If you are initially contacting one who lives abroad, as an example, On an international online dating site like Elena's Models, Then obviously a different location is acceptable.)

7> Phonies are deprived of underage kids. criminals know that presence of kids is a turn off for potential matches. it is bogus profiles rarely mention underage children. The sham persona either lacks kids or they are grown up.

8> watch out of male widowers and never married females. the favorite marital status for phony middle aged gentlemen targeting lonely ladies is "Widowed, Female profiles used as baits are usually of never married teenagers in their twenties (now and then early thirties).

9> Professing love quickly. Normally cheats include the ones to contact you. Once you start attaching, The pretenders will be quick to profess their fondness for you and then openly admit being in love even though you have never met in person. They are those who are strongly propelling your online connection forward and leading you to the next step. You may be surprised by their overpowering attention but after a while they convince you that you have become special for them. you will need to do very little, Just enjoy their appreciation and unreserved affection.

10> Phonies brag about their prosperity but ask for money. If the sham listing is actually a male, He is a top level pro or retired businessman, administration employee, Or armed service officer. cause, that ten, He is well off, demonstrated in life, And tells potency victims about it outright. He may even have a mock website, Either at a free hosting service or under a recently registered url of your website. If the bait is listed as a female, she will be gorgeous and innocent, But also from an outstanding family that is not poor. A frequent scenario for females includes a sudden inheritance or finding a treasure (An old superb coin, A gems, as well as). After authentic victims in their good financial standing, counterfeiters ask for wire money transfers claiming some emergency situation. essentially the final tell tale sign: there's no other reason to have a fake profile than to profit from it. A money ask you for, For any capability, Is one last stop signal. (it's always about money, either for emergency or payment for a visa, policy, message, Or english to japenese translation. Sometimes people don't notice how they spend thousands shouldering mere $5 per message on paid chat dating sites.)

If 3 or more dating profile tips listed here relate to your circumstances, slow. spend time thinking how your relationship started and who is moving it forward. Do all the checks and pursuit of images, Texts of pages and mails. Verify names and facts offered to you. always keep in mind: Genuine individuals have families, allies, And work associates, Whom they would ask for help to pull up quickly. There is never a reason to request money from unknown people. The only people who do it are online criminals seeking to take advantage of lonely people.

If you have a friend who would benefit from these tips on checking a legitimate dating profile, send them a link. Especially if a friend or acquaintance is dating an overseas person they met online.