Swamp cooler question

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Erik

Swamp cooler question

Post by Erik »

I have a big old ugly swamp cooler on the roof of my house. I have no experience with them. I used it yesterday, and I get a bunch of water running off my roof, is this normal? I know that water gets pumped into the thing, so this may be a dumb question. :-) It sure cools the house though.

TDWEB

Post by TDWEB »

The panels on the sides(with all the louvers in them) are removable. And the pads that are in them should be replaced yearly--usually at the start of the cooling season. There is a float valve in a shallow sump in the bottom area somewhere, similar to the float valve in a commode. It is most likely stuck or the float ball on the end is punctured, and its full of water. The best thing to do is simply replace the entire valve,----less problems long term. The water isn't supposed to run out, and if it continues---it may start running IN--not good, then the ceilings get soaked. If there is a fan in there, and there usually is, this is a good time to check the belt(s), and oil the motor and fan bearings if applicable.

txriverwillow

Post by txriverwillow »

We called those water coolers when I was a kid, here in Texas. We had a lot of them in areas where people couldn't afford a/c units or central a/c. It wasn't until after I was married that I got to live in a place with central a/c.

I have never seen one on the roof but depending on the humidity levels around, we had to add waters throught the panels.

Now one thing I do remember is that the pumped in moisture can mess up some electronics. Now that was back when home electronics weren't as sophiscated as they are now, so it may be less of a factor now or may be even a bigger deal than before.
Image Image

Sacto Diane

Post by Sacto Diane »

TDWEB wrote:The panels on the sides(with all the louvers in them) are removable. And the pads that are in them should be replaced yearly--usually at the start of the cooling season. There is a float valve in a shallow sump in the bottom area somewhere, similar to the float valve in a commode. It is most likely stuck or the float ball on the end is punctured, and its full of water. The best thing to do is simply replace the entire valve,----less problems long term. The water isn't supposed to run out, and if it continues---it may start running IN--not good, then the ceilings get soaked. If there is a fan in there, and there usually is, this is a good time to check the belt(s), and oil the motor and fan bearings if applicable.
That used to be my job at the start of each summer. remove the panels, pull out the old pads, clean them up and install new pads. While the panels were off, clean out the pan and make sure the float and pump still worked. I always like the old swamp coolers. Where I grew up it was 100° with very low humidity so it did a good job of cooling.

You do have to do an annual maintenance on them but once you figure out how they work, they are very easy to work on. If a 12 year kid can get on the roof and do it, then it's pretty easy. Just a little grungy :-)

Diane

cdnikoloff

Post by cdnikoloff »

Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of a "swamp cooler" I would love to see a picture of one and a short discription on how they work!

Carole

TDWEB

Post by TDWEB »

Hey Diane, me too---Phoenix, AZ. They worked pretty good to, until the summer Monsoon season hit, then the humidity made it virtually non existent.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Hi thanks for the input. I'll get out the ladder and check things out next chance I get. Cdnikoloff, Here's a link I found on google that explains how they work.

http://www.wonderquest.com/swamp-coolers.htm

Phx Matt

Post by Phx Matt »

I hate swamp coolers. Fill your house with humidity, and they stink. Refrigeration is infinetly better. Las house had both the AC and Evaporative cooler(swamp cooler) on the roof. I would check the float and valve as described, and I'd just about guarantee that is the issue.

sunnyjoe

Re: Swamp cooler question

Post by sunnyjoe »

Now it seems that it is a simple question.evaporative air cooler is environmental protection, cheap, more and more people like it. Especially in industrial and agricultural applications. :D