Cockroaches....

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Schag

Cockroaches....

Post by Schag »

How do I get rid of them?
We've got a ton of really big cockroaches running all over the outside of the house, and they've started showing up inside.
My thought was to seal up the crawl space under the house and set off a half dozen bug bombs.
I don't have the cash for a pro to come out.

Anyone had to deal with something like this?

Mercury MW

Re: Cockroaches....

Post by Mercury MW »

Describe the roach to me and I might be able to help a little. What is its color? Does it have any markings? How big?

Depending on the type of roach it is it might be a problem, or just kind of a seasonal annouyance.

That is funny you posted this because I'm about to start a thread about my battles with roaches, well singular..a roach from last night.

I hate Roachs...Like Indy hates snakes.

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Borax right? no, Boric acid and sugar, or something like that. A gi-antic wood roach, or tree roach or roach from Heck flew at my daughter today. She smushed it. They are coming in looking for water I guess, which is stupid because there is a fish pond right outside.

Mercury MW

Post by Mercury MW »

Here in the South we get them pretty bad. Especially if you live in a Swampy area. When I lived at home before my family moved, we lived near the Cape Fear river, and wetlands.

I would kill 1-2 waterbugs (The BIG red roaches) a night inside that home. Now, it was a nice home, we were clean people, and in a nice area of Town. We had Orkin and various other pest killer pro's come out. They said "Forget about it. You wont get rid of water bugs. They dont behave and live like normal roaches. They said that during Summer and Spring..They are going to be there."

The ones around here are on average..the size of a normal male thumb.

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

ugh, I hate those things. I can take them on the floor, but when they open up them wings and start coming at you like a kamikazee pilot, that's when I leave the room screaming for hubby to kill. :shock:

frameteam2003

Post by frameteam2003 »

Use Beet juice.They won't die--just get the red A$$ and leave:)!!!!!!(just couldn't resist that old joke)--sam

artfox

Post by artfox »

First of all, let me say that I don't like to use toxic chemicals in my home or garden if there is another product that will do the job. However,the only stuff I've found that helps get rid of those huge roaches is Bengal Roach Spray. Here, hardware stores and grocery stores carry it. There's a thin straw that attaches to the spray nozzle on the can so you can apply a fine line of clear liquid across the door sill or wherever they are coming in - just keep kids and pets away from it until it dries. It short-circuits the central nervous system of any bug or spider that steps where it's been applied and has a residual effect for several weeks, or until it's washed off or worn off. And no, I don't own stock in the company!

I haven't used Bengal this year yet, and last night, my JR terrier mix and I spotted a roach as it scurried under and behind things - she woofed and hunted for several hours but it eluded her. I'll keep the fly swatter handy and perhaps tonight...

toddinny

Post by toddinny »

What about centipedes? I get at least one a week in my kitchen sink late spring through early fall. UGH! They quickly get sprayed into the drain and the garbage disposal turned on. I rarely use chemicals at all - wasps or hornets are the only spray I will buy. The borax works on ants pretty well, have some outside, rarely inside. Just don't know where these darn things are coming from!

angolito

Post by angolito »

ever read the koontz book about roaches? whispers?

just step on 'em.

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

Roaches... GAH!! Those and fleas are the only two reasons I'll ever pull out the Big Poisons.

Though I was quite amused at a BBQ this past weekend, talking to this big tough buff no-nonsense MD state cop who has dealt with everything from vicious dogs to rabid raccoons to cobras in his job, but who (in his words) "screams like a girl" when he has to deal at home with "anything that has more than four legs." Just for my own enjoyment, I started describing the cave crickets that we have here to his wife, who was clearly enjoying his attempts to not freak out at my description. Yes, I'm evil. :twisted:
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/