Cockroaches....

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Mercury MW

Re: Cockroaches....

Post by Mercury MW »

toddandrudy wrote:What about centipedes? I get at least one a week in my kitchen sink late spring through early fall. UGH! They quickly get sprayed into the drain and the garbage disposal turned on. I rarely use chemicals at all - wasps or hornets are the only spray I will buy. The borax works on ants pretty well, have some outside, rarely inside. Just don't know where these darn things are coming from!
When I read your post I automatically knew you lived in the North. I use to live in Pittsburgh, and remember those ugly little things very well. How much I hated them. I've seen Centipedes down here in the south, but rarely, and they are not the same kind that the north has.

Centipedes in the house up north is common, down here though I've only seen them on the loading dock at work at those was only 2 in 16 years.

If memory serves me correctly (Wow..isnt that from the begining of the orginal "Iron Chef"), the biggest Roach in the USA was found in Camp Leguene or Camp McKall, both in NC. Found in the mess hall of all places. Cant remeber the size, but I remember thinking to myself that if I had seen that in my house..I'd move.

Mercury MW

Post by Mercury MW »

OH MY GOD!

Right After I finished my post, I went up to go smoke a cigarette outside and saw something stuck to my shorts...IT WAS A HUGE ROACH LEG!! I dont know how it got there, or how long its been there, but it was Carpentered glued to my shorts. (I've been working on my built in closets tonight.)

I'm all freaked out now, and feel the urgent need to hop in the shower and burn my clothes. YUCK.

I must of got it a while back when I leaned against my porch railing.

rncx

Post by rncx »

Schag wrote:How do I get rid of them?
We've got a ton of really big cockroaches running all over the outside of the house, and they've started showing up inside.
My thought was to seal up the crawl space under the house and set off a half dozen bug bombs.
I don't have the cash for a pro to come out.

Anyone had to deal with something like this?
it's the water man, you can't get rid of em. they're usually content to live outside but when you get rain forcing them out from under the house, they're gonna crawl up, and any space however tiny will let them in.

i find two on average after every storm, and can tell that they're migrants from outside cause they're extra crispy from the heat and sunlight when you crunch em.

put a pile of firewood wherever they're coming in, that'll make for more spiders and less roaches ;). i sit outside for sport and watch the black widows snag roaches who try to get in the cracks of my front porch while i'm reading the paper. as of this past morning i've got a gigantic garden spider who camps out by my power meter who is also on roach detail, too. between that one and the black widow factory that is my ~100 year old brick wall around the pool with a checkerboard of open holes from broken mortar, i don't see too many inside.

Schag

Post by Schag »

They're the big reddish ones.
The cat's love them as play toys, but I just can't stand them.
Even had a couple crawl up on me and the wife while we were in bed. Creepy!!! :shock:
I'm going to get some Boric Acid this weekend and apply it everywhere I can think of.

If I can get rid of my rat population, I should be able to reduce the roaches. :twisted:

CivilWarHome

Post by CivilWarHome »

OH my I had to laugh at this because remember I just posted recently about the dang things too. I haven't seen anymore inside since my post THANKFULLY!

I'm iffy on boric acid. We tried this in Fl and the palmetto bugs(nice way of saying HUGE roaches) would munch on it to their hearts content. I never saw them keel over quick enough for me to be satisfied. I belive we then went online and purchased something recommened by a diy pest store called Demon WP. Worked wonderful. But It is a chemical. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Brandy
185? Italianate
Macon, Mo

artfox

Post by artfox »

Well, let's take comfort in the fact that we don't have any native insects around here as scary as those huge Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches! Our Science Museum had some live ones on display awhile back, and I understand that local pet shops carry them.

But...what if some of them escape and start to multiply...? Aaarrrggghhh!

rncx

Post by rncx »

it's funny but not entirely impossible.

that's where louisiana's nutrea rat problem comes from. they got loose from an LSU lab during a hurricane in the '60s and have been eating away the marshlands ever since.

cs

Post by cs »

About 18 years ago I worked on a TV show called “Monsters” (same basic show as Tales From the Dark Side, but a different title so the production-company could sell a full hour of syndicated programming). We had an episode in which a house’s walls are filled (and I mean FILLED) with the Madagascar yellow hissing cockroaches. Despite precautions, some definitely escaped into the studio (Long Island City based). We never got rid of ‘em, and for all I know, the building is still infested.

Regarding the centipedes… if you’re talking about these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera , they could be considered a good thing. They are fairly aggressive predators, eating just about every kind of household insect pest. I should have turned ‘em loose on the roaches!

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

toddinny

Post by toddinny »

cs - YES YES YES YES YES!! That's the ugly little things! ugh!! You should warn a person there's a picture like that... :lol:

Spiders - well, the ones here in the north, I will live and let live. If they are big, they get a gentle tissue grab and are placed outside (habit I got from my grandmother - kill a spider in the house, it will rain...)

When I lived in Southern California however, the black widows were smooshed with something solid - no matter where they were. Went into the shed one day after not being in there for a week or so and there was the biggest blackest shiny widow I had ever seen. Body was HUGE. Slammed the shovel down on that one. Saw a tarantula one evening while driving. For that, I stopped the car and waited for it to cross.

So I am fickle when it comes to bugs. And even though the centipedes are "good" - If they are in my sink, they will meet the disposal.

Iowa4Square

Post by Iowa4Square »

Regarding the centipedes… if you’re talking about these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera , they could be considered a good thing. They are fairly aggressive predators, eating just about every kind of household insect pest. I should have turned ‘em loose on the roaches!
I hate those frickin' things! They are so fast, they really scare the crap out of you when they dash across the floor or up a wall. We had them in Wisconsin - haven't seen any in Iowa. Down here we get lots of spiders, which are also not high on my list.
1909 Colonial Revival Foursquare