Thought you might enjoy this picture...

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

aloch76

Thought you might enjoy this picture...

Post by aloch76 »

We've lived in our house for a year now (!), and I had the idea to take a picture of it in each season. I put this collage together:

We've done a lot of work on the house, but there's still a ton to do!

BTW, if anyone has a good idea on how to remove honeybees from a chimney, let me know! We discovered them last spring, but none of the beekeepers we called were interested in taking them. One came out and looked but still didn't want them :( We can't get our fireplace working until we have it inspected, but the bees seem to be going into the house through a crack near the chimney (thankfully only a few have actually surfaced in the living room). We wanted to get an insert this year, but ran out of time as it started snowing in October!

squareheaddonna

Re: Thought you might enjoy this picture...

Post by squareheaddonna »

What a cool series of pictures - Thank You!

frameteam2003

Post by frameteam2003 »

I'd say you have a sticky problem on your hands.Problem with Honeybees is they make honey---and they're storing it in your house(walls or chiminey)You could kill the bees with a bug bomb,but you still got honey which attracks ants.I'd say get professional help,and winter is a good time.
Did enjoy the pictures.

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Wow pretty!

I'm so sorry about the bees. There is advertisements everywhere around here for honey bee removal. I hope you get your problem solved very soon and thank you so much for the pictures. That was a really good idea and would make an awesome Christmas card.

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

That's so cool. The four seasons of your house. I think Van Gogh did that with some hay stacks in a field - my art history suffers from too many other things in my brain - but the idea - the difference in the light and contrasts is really interesting. I love the light in the fall. It is so perfectly soft and gentle. Great idea!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

angolito

Post by angolito »

those photos are calendar worthy.

aloch76

Post by aloch76 »

frameteam2003 wrote:I'd say you have a sticky problem on your hands.Problem with Honeybees is they make honey---and they're storing it in your house(walls or chiminey)You could kill the bees with a bug bomb,but you still got honey which attracks ants.I'd say get professional help,and winter is a good time.
Did enjoy the pictures.
Thanks. At the moment, the plan is to have an exterminator spray them, and then we'll seal up the chimney where they are going in. We can't do in winter, though, I think because the mortar won't set in the colder temps? I think that's what my husband said. So we'll have to wait until spring. Luckily, we have a cedar closet in which we can take out part of the wall to try to remove the honey (if it's the right location!), and we can replace it with new cedar. I was hoping to find a better solution than killing them, but we can't find anyone who will take them :(

aloch76

Post by aloch76 »

S Melissa wrote:That's so cool. The four seasons of your house. I think Van Gogh did that with some hay stacks in a field - my art history suffers from too many other things in my brain - but the idea - the difference in the light and contrasts is really interesting. I love the light in the fall. It is so perfectly soft and gentle. Great idea!
Thank you!! We lived in TX for 12 years, so to move back to seasons was exciting for us! Plus with us having around 6 months of winter, I wanted a memory of summer :wink:

plastrr385

Post by plastrr385 »

Hey aloch76

Is that the house on 98 by the schools. I love that house!!!

plastrr385
cranesville,pa

aloch76

Post by aloch76 »

plastrr385 wrote:Hey aloch76

Is that the house on 98 by the schools. I love that house!!!

plastrr385
cranesville,pa
Yes, it is! :D I can't believe you recognized it!