Termites

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

bofusmosby

Re: Termites

Post by bofusmosby »

I pay a smaller amount to the termite people, so my house is under warranty. If they find termites (or I do), they will tent it again at N/C. Its a lot easier to pay them $270 a year, than have to come up with over $2,000 when the termites show up again. I have had my house now for 10 years, and its been tented 3 times since I bought the house.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!

mgb1234

Post by mgb1234 »

The critters are swarming now ,little wings everywhere I think I am going to throw some bug bombs up in the attic maybe that will slow them down before they dig to far in :shock:
1915 Dormitory

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

oldhouseluvr, you said you have buyer's remorse. Do you mean that the house you're presently in has lost its charm for you, or was that comment for a previous house?

Our bug guy said that the south has a different termite than we in the north do. Ours are supposed to die off with hard freezes but that the past two winters have been too mild. In the end, the money we've been saving in heating bills now has another place to be spent, eh? It can go to termite control. I am getting a 5-year"guarantee" with this treatment. Peace of mind is now quantifiable.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

Kansas - we've been here in this house for 12 years now and my buyers remorse in long gone. We sold a home that we bought brand new to buy this old house. The purchase was unplanned but we viewed it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own an old house, and the barn was a huge bonus for DH. We knew we would be giving up some living space, i.e no family room, finished basement, closets, deck or pool. We did it with eyes wide open, but our first year or so was full of unpleasant and unexpected surprises and the process of settling in to old house living was much more difficult than I expected. We inherited a basement and barn full of junk that the POs left behind. Just about the time we finished getting rid of all that crap, we came home from vacation to find that the bathroom ceiling had collapsed. Not only did we have to fix that, but we had to put a new roof on the bathroom dormer. The lack of closets turned out to be a bigger problem than I anticipated and I had to store all of my suits and dresses on the third floor. The kitchen floor started splintering shortly after we moved in and I was constantly removing splinters from my sons feet.

Anyway, I'm sure you get the picture. I had uprooted my family, took on a bigger mortgage, and had all sorts of unexpected expenses. Now, all these years later, I have absolutely no regrets. This is our home and we've corrected most of the problems and finally are able to put our stamp on it, while at the same time preserving the integrity and character of the original structure.

I've come to realize that owning an old house requires more planning and budgeting than with a new house. We schedule our projects throughout the year and we prioritize maintenance. So I live with the old kitchen countertops and pay for pest control services instead. :D

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

My old house story mirrors yours. For my job, my family moved from its brand new house to one 104 years old that cost more. The POs had lived there 50 years till death (but the estate left a clean place). First thing we discovered was the garage was grounded better than the house was. First order of priority was an unglamorous electrical upgrade because of the blow dryers (3 females). Each year we did something major, it seems, working our way from roof down to boiler. Thankfully we had no interior floods. Never in all that time did we use an exterminator much less a termite treatment. Sold at the peak of the market. Woohoo.

Our present house, the 1911, came with trees. That was my top priority with my next house. The pigeon guy (critter control) said that new houses have different nuisance critters--raccoons and squirrels. The new houses were built on prairie. I'm in an old district. We all have nuisance animals; the difference is just which animals.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

wilson456

Post by wilson456 »

Hello,

I Need some termite control products for my new home, So can anyone please tell me from where I can find them??

BrownStanley

Post by BrownStanley »

Termites can damage or completely destroy wooden bearing structures for two years, so it's the matter of safety to get rid of them. Those chemicals can be used to fight termites:
  • Liquid insecticide fipronil
    Imidacloprid Granules
    Termidor fipronil foam
    Spray can with a nozzle
    Boric acid
You will find more information about how to use such stuff on this blog. There are also some solutions on how to get rid of termites without using chemicals. Hope it will come in handy.

rawand

Post by rawand »

Great to see such great post shared by you...
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.