Termites

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Kansas. 1911.

Termites

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

We live in a 1911 Foursquare. I'm home from work today because the big crew is here treating my house for termites. My DH found the termites. The exterminator said the infestation could be as old as two years. So, like many of you living in a house you want to keep for years, I signed up for the house treatment, the garage, and the 5-year plan. They will come back and take care of anything termite-y for 5 years. I use this company for my every-3- month spider/ant/etc. people and they have the contract for the church where I work. They are highly recommended. So I'm comfortable with the company.

I'm just sad today because it is going to be a lot of money spent for an unglamorous job. We've also had the critter control people over for an on-going pigeon problem, and somehow a one bat got in when we were having some chimney work done. Thankfully it was only one bat and not a couple.

I want the exterior facelift to move along, and now we're stuck with all this non-fun infrastructure. Waaaa. I just thought I'd share. Next up, jacking up a sagging porch. Ah, the inhabited world of old houses...

Anybody else gone through the termite thing?
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

mgb1234

Re: Termites

Post by mgb1234 »

Down here it is recommended to have the house tented every 3 years ,but it seems as though the chemicals are not as potent as they once were.

Look at the bright side though at least the new work that you are doing will not be in vain and get eaten up from the little buggers :)
1915 Dormitory

lizardes

Post by lizardes »

If you ever get to New Orleans and have a couple of hours to spare, the Insectarium in the Custom House building on Canal Street has a very interesting (and a little frightening) exhibit on termites. We have formosan termites in the Alabama coastal area and I fear for my little wooden house.
Bryant-O'Neal House ca. 1919

angolito

Post by angolito »

mgb, when i mentioned the whole house tent thing here people looked at me like i was crazy(ier). they don't do that here at all. one good thing about tenting, it kills....ooops, the post jumped. :o
Last edited by angolito on Fri May 22, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angolito

Post by angolito »

mgb, when i mentioned the whole house tent thing here people looked at me like i was crazy(ier). they don't do that here at all. one good thing about tenting, it kills EVERYTHING. kind of embarassing since the palmetto bugs in florida can be as big as your palm.....minus the "etto". just have to be careful they don't accidentally get your planting in there cuz it dies big time.

there are rotten people who put on air tanks and go under the tent and rob you blind during the three days it is being treated. i always put a 24 hour security guard on an occupied house with contents. i knew someone who took a mini vacation and came home to an empty house. empty. everything. :evil:

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

That's just plain mean. Stealing somebody's stuff.

This bug guy was here with two employees, and I think his son was one of them. Anyway, I had told the bug guy where we hid the key and just lock up when he was finished. I left and went to work. They were working through lunch and getting by in the heat with just gatorade. I thought they could use water or the bathroom.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

frameteam2003

Post by frameteam2003 »

Everone that lives in the South knows Termites!

mgb1234

Post by mgb1234 »

frameteam2003 wrote:Everyone that lives in the South knows Termites!
I know :evil: they sent me a bill the other day for the labor of holding my house together,that's okay though I am going to back charge them for all the meals I provided :lol:
1915 Dormitory

bofusmosby

Post by bofusmosby »

angolito wrote:
there are rotten people who put on air tanks and go under the tent and rob you blind during the three days it is being treated. i always put a 24 hour security guard on an occupied house with contents. i knew someone who took a mini vacation and came home to an empty house. empty. everything. :evil:
The last 2 times I had my house tented, I stayed there 24/7. The last time, I stayed in the garage with the dog. My boss had his house broken into years ago when it was being tented. I believe it was an inside job. The window were broken from the inside, and not a speck of glass was inside the house. He lost thousand in old coins.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

We've had termites here and in our former home, too. We also contracted with a company who comes out regularly and treats at the first sign of a problem. After 12 years of old house living, we have become resigned to some of these extra expenses, but for the first couple of years, it was pretty hard for me to sink money into infrastructure when I really wanted to spend the money on fun stuff. I know that it definitely contributed to my buyers remorse. At least now, knowing that you are termite-prone, you'll be able to sleep better at night and you'll have one less thing to worry about.