Repairing Cracked Stucco

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Dave7711

Repairing Cracked Stucco

Post by Dave7711 »

The Cape Cod I bought last year came with a chip of the stucco around the concrete base. I am enclosing a photo of this chip. This is mainly a cosmetic repair but I still definitely want it done. I check with a hardware store and showed them the photo and they said it was a bear to fix the chip myself. They suggest getting a contractor to do the repair.

I would like to try repairing this chip myselfto save on money but have never worked with concrete or stucco. Can a novice like me just buy a 50 pound sack of concrete or stucco not sure which, mix it with water, and spread it on there to fill it? Or does this require a "professional".
Attachments
000_0651crack.jpg
000_0651crack.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 16556 times

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Re: Repairing Cracked Stucco

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

I believe that it is delaminating from the brick substrate because it had been painted preventing a masonry/masonry bond. I'd bet that a lot more would come off with a little picking.
Casey

Dave7711

Post by Dave7711 »

Would you suggest then that I need a professional to repair? What an expense!

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Unless there's something really wrong with the brick underneath, don't put the stucco/parge back on at all, provided the rest of it peels off as clean as the one area. Then the only expense is disposal. Unless you have a hole that needs fill, or a place to dump it free.
Casey

Dave7711

Post by Dave7711 »

Thanks Casey

I am not inclined to chip the surrounding stucco off. I think the problem is it looks a bit unsightly if I sell say next year or in the future. Cant one find a substance that will adequately stick to the concrete underneath?? If so I would like to take a stab at it.

plastrr385

Post by plastrr385 »

I've never done stucco but I do know you will need to use bonding agent on the substrate and edge of the old stucco or parging. Not sure but curious on why they didnt use metal lathe to help attach the stucco or parging to the wall. Sorry I couldnt help.

Dave7711

Post by Dave7711 »

Would what you say apply if concrete were used on the crack instead of stucco? Do I have to use stucco or parging because that was there before?

plastrr385

Post by plastrr385 »

Not sure sorry:(
Try talking to a brick mason they might be able to help you.

hepcat72

Post by hepcat72 »

Did you figure out an answer to this? I'm trying to figure out what to use to patch my parging in my basement, but moderators here and on stack exchange keep disapproving my posts and don't tell me how to ask the question the way they want it to be asked. So frustrated.

MathewCox

Post by MathewCox »

I suggest you to watch a couple of you tube videos, thanks to a simple tutorial I was able to repair three old concrete pillars myself using stucco and a lot of patience :lol: