A Dutch Colonial without a Gambrel roof

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

LTParis

Re: A Dutch Colonial without a Gambrel roof

Post by LTParis »

One other item to note is our garage, and our driveway. The driveway is very narrow, we can barely squeeze in, and worse our driveway has this odd slight curve to it that makes it even more tricky to navigate. At the end is a 1.5 car garage that is in need of repair.

With the driveway being so narrow it's almost impossible to back out of the driveway onto the main road. So a brainstorm my wife has is to rebuild a garage to the right of the property, this way you could drive the legnth of the driveway, and back into the garage turning 90º. (The doors would no longer face the house, but to the left of the bottom picture.

The two negatives of that would be we would lose some usable grass for the purpose of a driveway, and there is a hill to the left of the current garage that would need to be dressed up nicely.

Seriously if anyone has some winning lottery numbers I am all ears. There are so many projects we would like to do, but will take years to accomplish.
Circa 1930's Colonial Revival - Kingston NY

Don M

Post by Don M »

You might consider creating an extension to your driveway to the right side of your garage door so you could back out of the garage turning to the right onto the pad then drive out the driveway going forward. You would still lose some grass but getting in & out would be much easier & safer as well.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

LTParis

Post by LTParis »

I could do that, it's something my dad did with his house. However I consider that more a "shortcut solution" to the problem, and you would have pavement/concrete bisecting the grass, it's just not typically a pleasant sight.

I still have plenty of time to figure out my options. I have more pressing issues with doing something more practical with the bathrooms and the kitchen. The more I consider my floor plan options, the bump out gives me the most flexibility, but at what cost. :(

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yes I see your point! As far as the bump out goes you may want to investigate the difference in costs for a small bump out or a larger addition. You might get a bigger bang for your buck if you build a larger addition.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

LTParis

Post by LTParis »

Agreed. From what I have read on bump-outs so far there is such a steep price to do a small bump-out that it many cases you might as well go larger. Although at that point some of the character of the house, especially the squared symmetry, would be lost. So many tough decisions to make.

LTParis

Post by LTParis »

Hopefully there are still some people around on the forum. Seems almost deserted.

So as much as I would like to do the bump-out, unless I come into a small fortune I simply won't have the money to do that and all the other associated rooms at once. So I am starting to stray from that idea and into how to maximize my current space.

So here is my current floorplan (http://ltparis.com/images/colonial/floo ... recise.pdf). Still kills me how symmetrical this place really is. I think I might have found a good blend of keeping things symmetrical while adding functionality to the mix. This means using my attic as a master suite and doing one thing that is not symmetrical and merging my Kitchen and DR together.

http://ltparis.com/images/colonial/floo ... S-v1.1.pdf

LTParis

Post by LTParis »

Wow it's been years since I last posted here. Going over all the posts I've had makes me wish I could have accelerated some projects. So time for a bit of a synopsis over the past few years and coming up to 5 years of ownership.

Rear porch to rear deck
After our first year of ownership we noticed that the rear porch suffered some damage from the heave snows we had. After we decided that the porch was generally unusable and decided to do a deck, we started the tear down. Well what a revalation that was. It seems that a lot of care and effort was done to the roof and shingles and it was a challenge to remove. The base of the porch however was a joke. The previous owners went so far to have a single 3/4" steel bar support the one corner of the deck to the concrete support of the rear bulkhead entranceway. No bueno. Also that bulkhead entranceway had partially collapsed likely because of the swelling of the ground from the wintertime.

So you can see that we are going to eventually go with a red and white scheme on the rest of the house which leads into the next headache...

Lead paint outdoors
All my checking of lead on the inside of the house (which was negative) it never hit met to check the outside. So needless to say I am at a crossroads on what to do. Abatement is prohibitively expensive, and I really don't want to vinyl over it all. Still undecided on what to do but the paint is chipping and I will still need to figure out what to do

Power
I've delayed upgrading to 200A service because of other financial needs, but this year I really need to get this done so I can carry on with other projects.

Ductless HVAC
As much as I would like to do central air the house would not be able to accommodate the return flow ducting without some compromises to space and design. The more as I have been reading up on ductless HVAC I am thinking this will be the route I will have to take. Because of the symmetry of the house I think I can place the units in a way that will honor the look and feel of the house and make it not look too odd and be efficient. With that I may retain my oil heating as a secondary/emergency source and it's very miserly for my water heater. It would also save costs of having to do up all the gas lines in the house.

Baths
Still trying to find the best designs for 6' x 7' 10" pair of bathrooms. Such a small space, window takes up effective wall space.

Other big projects will still need to be addressed. The driveway needs to be redone and widened at the bottom. The kitchen needs a desperate redo. Floors need to be redone. Honestly the plaster needs to be pulled and sheetrock put up. So much to do.

Anyone have some winning lottery numbers?