Foundation Question - Eastern NC

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

DaBusyB

Foundation Question - Eastern NC

Post by DaBusyB »

Hello Everyone :)

I am in the process of buying a house.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxE7ZtCb4g8_TTI3WGtETUFkaE0

I'm pretty sure it was built in 1919 and I knew going in that there was some work to be done. The foundation needs a lot of work. We have already had a few people go into the crawl space.

Now here is my concern: Two contractors basically said it's a lot of work, the house needs to be jacked up, especially in the middle of the house, some pillars need replacing or repairing, etc. It didn't sound toooo bad....The last contractor I met with today barely went under, but asked to go inside. He said the house needs a structural engineer to see what pillars can be salvaged if any; and if none can, he would write up plans for a new foundation. After the engineer finishes, the house would be raised six feet in the air and they would do the work, set the house back down, and everythig should be fine.

I was shocked by to say the least, lol. None of the other contractors said it the work would be that involved, and this one is saying I could end up paying double what I am about to pay for this house, lol.

Has anyone experienced this and had to have their house literally in the air to fix a foundation issue? I am not expecting super straight floors, I just want: 1) the house to be supported, 2) my kids to not fall through the floor, and 3)the house to not fall on us, lol/

Any advice and or insight is greatly appreciated,
Brandi

Sacto Diane

Re: Foundation Question - Eastern NC

Post by Sacto Diane »

I would get a structural engineer to look at the house and give you a recommendation. Contractors are OK but if there is a possibility of some major structural issues don't risk it. Get someone knowledgeable to look at the situation.

DaBusyB

Re: Foundation Question - Eastern NC

Post by DaBusyB »

Thank you :)