Tin Ceiling

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Deaglan

Tin Ceiling

Post by Deaglan »

Hi, A little over a year ago I bought a late 1890s "New Englander" that has been extended with an addition. I've spent the better part of that year working to make the extension a little more cohesive, and am happy with the results. I am into the rarified air of projects, meaning I am approaching the perpetual 95% done mark.

My question concerns tin ceiling. The kitchen has one, and one restoring the original layout of the kitchen its clear it has seen much better days. I removed a broken tin square to reveal a lot of dirt (possible mouse droppings... okay likely mouse droppings) and strapping over a plaster ceiling where the lathe is attached to strapping then joists. So tin ceiling > strapping > plaster & lathe > more strapping > ceiling joists.

Was it common to attach plaster to strapping instead of directly to ceiling joists?

And should I take down this plaster ceiling. From what I can see with a scope and flashlight there are multiple large holes and places where the plaster has liberated itself from the lathe. Or should I secure the tin ceiling to strapping that sits below the plaster.

Also for the tin tiles themselves. I planned to salvage what I could, strip them and repaint them. (Knowing that they likely carry lead paint.)

Joel

Re: Tin Ceiling

Post by Joel »

Yes, it seems most carpenter's approach to things is to add another layer, and I've seen several layers of strapping in ceilings before. My approach would be to remove it all down to the joists. I like things cleaned up and you may find some items that need attention in the joist space, like spliced wires, cracked joists, you name it. You'll also gain a little ceiling height. You didn't say what space is above the kitchen. Removing the lath and plaster will allow more noise to travel between spaces.

Deaglan

Re: Tin Ceiling

Post by Deaglan »

Thanks. I went ahead and removed the plaster. I expected a messy job and it was.

Two questions.

I have the tin ceiling sitting in my basement now. I am leaning towards ordering new tiles to match the style. Like these. http://www.thetinman.com/images/12inch/1204lg.jpg Anyone want to talk me into trying to restore the tin instead? There is lead paint and some panels have holes and would need replacing. Are they worth anything or should I bring them to the dump?

I have to level the ceiling Perpendicular to the joists it is level, but the center of the house has settled about an inch from the wall outside. Can I just throw up extra strapping before putting up the plywood?

Thanks, DM