Pine floor gaps - no subfloor

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jwh1te

Pine floor gaps - no subfloor

Post by jwh1te »

This regards an old, pine, painted wood floor in a timber frame cabin built around 1904, Colorado, 8200 ft elevation. No subfloor, no basement, no insulation - and no plans to change any of that. The floor rests on support framing of the same age. The boards are 3-4" in width. In places that get the largest amount of wear, I find gaps are appearing between some boards. In one place I can see through the floor down to the ground below, with a gap of 1/4". It looks like there are two kinds of filler in different places on the floor. In one case it looks like some old putty that I can see chips out. This is likely from the last time it was painted in the 1960s. In other places it looks like there was some sort of original filler - I can't tell what it was. In other parts of the cabin I find old oilcloth between gaps in walls. I've been reading about how to patch this type of issue. I'll repaint the floor at some point. From what I read, rope, dust and resin, wood filler, wood or acrylic filler strips, and caulk are potential solutions. Other posts indicate caulk and wood filler won't last well. Recommendations? Thank you