urine odor removal

Questions, answers and advice for people who own or work on houses built during the 20th century.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Nina

urine odor removal

Post by Nina »

I have an overwhelming odor of urine from the basement. The previous owner had a dog who regularly urinated in the side yard of this rowhome on the concrete and in the basement (cats too, I think). It isn't clear if the smell is coming from the walls or floor of the concrete and stone basement (built 1920's). I have tried most things to rid it of the smell. Any ideas? One idea is to acid wash and recoat with new cement and a cement sealer. I'm just afraid of permanently sealing in that smell!

nina@ninafine.com

Suzette

Re: urine odor removal

Post by Suzette »

My mom had this same problem with our house after renters brought in dogs. The floor man says he lives by alcohol. We had never heard of this but we did as we were told and just mopped straight rubbing alcohol over the entire floor, walls, etc. After one application, no more odor.

SuzetteBDouglas@aol.com

Janet

Post by Janet »

How do you keep it from damaging the wood in the floors, walls etc?

Suzette

Post by Suzette »

We asked the floor man the same question. My mom was extremely scared to do this. However, it turns out that alcohol dries extremely quick and it was no problem. By the time we moved from one side of the room to the other, it was dry. It was loads different from normal mopping.

SuzetteBDouglas@aol.com

Wiesie

Post by Wiesie »

There is a product that investors use in houses with cat urine called OdorXit...it is incredible.They have a web site.

lsokso@earthlink.net

Mike

Post by Mike »

I had the same problem. you can use an ultraviolet light to see exactly where the urine is. You can go to a home improvement store and get a black light and that will show you where your problem is. To get rid of the smell if it is on concrete i would use UGL drylock to seal the smell out. It will also preven any moisture in the future from entering through seepage.

Harree

Post by Harree »

I apologize for bumping this ancient thread...just some suggestions that I hope help to someone in the future...

Tried and tested method (lots of dogs peeing on concrete in my house!):

1) Biological washing powder in warm (not boiling) water - scrub the bejesus out of it the ground until very foamy, leave for 5/10 minutes (gives it a chance to break down all the pee residue). Rinse with boiling water.

2) Jayes fluid, diluted in hot water (I use the spray, very handy and no diluting) or a very concentrated solution of bleach (chlorine, not ammonia) - scrub the bejesus out of the concrete, leave for 5/10 minutes. Rinse (really well!) with boiling water.

3) Leave to dry before letting dogs back onto it.

( 4) If there is still a mild pong (just general dog smell), spray Tea Tree oil (in a spray bottle, with hot water - shake really well) onto the area and leave to dry before letting the dogs out. Leaves a very fresh smell)

Don't forget to the up the edge walls too, they can get very nasty smelling in the recent wet, but hot, weather. A good, stiff yard brush is a must for this - gets all the chemicals into the nooks and crannies. Make sure you let everything sit for a little while, or even better scrub it for a few minutes (might be a bit hard on the shoulders though!). The Tea Tree oil makes everything smell very fresh, but usually I don't have a need to use this because the other 3 steps get rid of the smell of pee.