Poinsettia -- Poisonous

By The Old House Web
Poinsettias are thought to be poisonous and cause death. THIS IS NOT TRUE. No case of poisoning by the plant is recorded. In fact, members of the Society of American Florist commonly eat poinsettias for the press each year to dispel the rumor.

However, this doesn't mean you should eat the plant. No plant should be eaten that isn't grown to be eaten.

The milky sap might cause an allergic skin reaction, though it does not affect everyone. Allergic conditions to poinsettias are similar to allergic conditions to chocolate, milk, wheat and poison ivy -- some people are affected but not everyone.

Articles in this collection were copyrighted 1995 by the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. For full copyright information about the articles in this encyclopedia, click here.

Search Improvement Project