When jobs go bad

handshakeFrom the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Consumer Protection Division, here are some suggestions on resolving disputes over a home improvement job.

If you have a problem with your home improvement project, first try to resolve it with the contractor. Many disputes can be resolved at this level.

Follow any phone conversations with a letter you send by certified mail. Request a return receipt. That's your proof that the company received your letter. Keep a copy for your files.

If you can't get satisfaction, consider contacting the following organizations for further information and help:

  • State and local consumer protection offices.
  • Your state or local Builders Association and/or Remodelers Council.
  • Your local Better Business Bureau.
  • Action line and consumer reporters. Check with your local newspaper, TV, and radio stations for contacts.
  • Local dispute resolution programs.
<-Back to introduction

To other parts of this story->

  • There are currently no articles posted to this section.

Search Improvement Project