dcsimg

Bathroom Pics...

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Bathroom Pics...

Postby utopia13 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:29 am

I agree...that's a great bathroom! I actually got to see it in person :shock: during my table saw tutorial a year ago last... November, was it?? I think so.

Anywho...that basket weave tile is so neat. Very very cool!! :D
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby Tujo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Here is the before of the original hallway/bathroom with it's rotted, carpet covered floor.

And here are my two new bathrooms:

Tujo

Postby rehabbingisgreen on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am

Sacto Diane,
LOVE the toilet. As long as nothing goes wrong in the process, I just got myself a similar one for my bathroom. Do you know the age of your toilet? The one I bought came out of a house pre 1900 but I don't know if it was original or not. It's going in my built around 1900 house. How does the tank mount? Does it attach to the wall? Mine is out so I didn't have the pleasure of seeing it installed.
rehabbingisgreen

Postby Vaso7 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Here are pictures of my super smallish bathroom under the stairs. Just finished painting and changing the fixtures.
The first picture shows the door to the bathroom

My budget was also super smallish so I did the best I could.
Last edited by Vaso7 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby Venn Diagram on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:33 pm

So many beautiful bathrooms. I love the diversity of color, tile, style ... yet they all fit the spaces they inhabit.

We had one full bath when we moved in - a tiny one on the second floor, in keeping with the conventions of 1910 houses in our area. We had a half bath that had been added on and tucked into what used to be a butler's pantry on the first floor. And we had a strange 1920s toilet sitting right on the sewer in the basement. That was it!

We did 3 bath reno projects. First, we redid the powder room. That one had to be done twice, after a mistake was made the first time. Then we jumped right in and put a brand new master bath on our third floor - which of course involved a tremendous amount of work and money, since we were putting water, drains and electricity where none had ever existed before. Finally, last year, we turned to the small second floor bath and did a total gut - stripping out the horrible 60s/70s crap that was in there and returned it to what we imagined it looked like in 1910.

Here are pics from our reno of the small 2nd floor bath. It's simple and utilitarian, nothing fancy, and we did it on a small budget, but you can't believe how much it has enhanced our lives to be rid of the ugliness that used to reside there.

I will do separate posts for the other two if I can find my pictures.

BEFORE - the "Mexican Sand" special, with the ugliest medicine cabinet that was ever manufactured.

DEMOLITION: oh happy day!

WORK

FINISHED

Venn Diagram

Postby Vaso7 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey, our small upstair baths look pretty similar! Look at mine, same floor, same walls, same color, same mirror ....
I only had to do minor stuff in there since the floors and the walls were done in the 40's. Not original to the house (1903) but I do not think I will ever take it away. I bet the original was wood floor and bead board like my other bath (still original and undone)....

1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby Venn Diagram on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Figured I'd add on the powder room too, though I don't have the greatest pictures of it. (It's a little too small to really get inside to photograph ....) Again, we did it on a tight budget, opting for wainscoting rather than tile in this tiny room. The only splurge was the floor tile.

BEFORE - now, I like the color pink, but this room could not continue to exist. Note the placement of the toilet (sideways was about the only way you could sit!) The PO had laid laminate floors and outfitted the room with the cheapest possible fixtures.

RIPPING 'ER OUT (another happy day)

DONE - with a small "jog" to allow for a person to actually sit on the toilet (which could not be moved, unfortunately - it would have been much better if we could have switched the postions of the toilet and the sink so you'd see the sink when opening the door, rather than the can.) The chimney, which is at the edge of the jog, prevented us from doing too much maneuvering.

Venn Diagram

Postby donoinmass on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Wow Venn...those are 2 BEAUTIFUL bathrooms. Nice job!!
Don O'Neil
'The Orange Whitney House - 1896'
Winchendon, MA
donoinmass

Postby Venn Diagram on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 pm

OK, so it's Friday and I am avoiding work. Here is the last bathroom. It is not quite done yet - we still have some electrical work to do, then hanging mirrors and artwork. We're waiting until we get the money to finish off the rest of the third floor (hopefully in the fall).

BEFORE - it was an ugly loft-ish space with gross carpet and a chimney boxed in with drywall.

We started by running a drain from the basement up through all 3 floors inside closets, ending here.

Dismantling, framing, plumbing commenced .... It was nice to see the pretty old chimney.

We went with a modest sized cast iron shower pan.

Tiling the walls and laying the hex tile floor

Time for the sink

Found this car on the street and decided it was the color I wanted to paint the room

Mostly finished (painted the car color, though the lighting in these pcitures is bad and you can't really tell)

Venn Diagram

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Thank you so much, VennD. All three baths match in quality, color, and theme. They look like they belong in the same youse. I noticed that you even put identical toilet paper holders in. Aren't those hard to pick out? Might as well find one you like and use it again. I noticed the ceiling of the new shower is covered in matching tile. It's a nice touch.

Our house came with the toilet with NO "elbow" room. We were able to move it over. You used creativity with that little jog, there.

One place where it's fine to digress from the 1910 look, in my opinion, is the new "comfort height" toilets. Did you use them?
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

PreviousNext

Return to The Picture Forum