Advice on removing old floor covering

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

lee polowczuk

Re: roofing paper ugh

Post by lee polowczuk »

KathyJB wrote:Found the same thing on my floor. I don't think a whole lot of it stayed on the floor. When we sanded, most of it came up. The rest kinda gave it a little character. Now the question is, will it stain and will it seal?
i'd sand until you had it off...

CrazyLady

Post by CrazyLady »

We just did this in our kitchen. We tried to sand if off at first but the sander just seemed to "burn" the goop into the wood. I agree with the wallpaper scraper and lots of replacement blades. It helped to spray the goop with a warm water and 409 mixture. Sounds crazy, I know. I would spray the goop, let it sit for just a bit and then scrape the goop. It came up pretty well but it was still a slow process. The 409 didn't seem to hurt the wood at all. As a matter of fact I think I heard the wood breathing for the first time in 60 years after we finished! The guy we hired to refinish our floors laughed at us. He said that he would have just started over with a new floor. But what's the fun in that?

oxford

Heat gun

Post by oxford »

I have the same problem and a heat gun does help to scrape up the stubborn spots brfore washing and sanding.

oxford

Heat gun

Post by oxford »

I have the same problem and a heat gun does help to scrape up the stubborn spots before washing and sanding.

bngia

Post by bngia »

We had the same felt stuff glued onto pine wood floors. I used water to wet the felt stuff down, scraped that off, and then used Diff wallpaper paste remover to get the glue off (with a scraper). It smells bad and takes forever, but youll be glad you got it off.

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

[img][img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/ ... ueroom.jpg[/img][/img]

I'm thinking my goop isn't as heavy as ya'lls goop. What do you think? This is before I got all those little nails up. Most of them broke and I ended up using channel locks to get them all out. Now all that is left is the roofing nails around the edges.

KSR

Post by KSR »

Congrats! I definitely feel your pain, as I have been removing carpet pad adhesive from the red oak floor in my office for the past 2 months--yes, it's been 2 months! Granted, I took a few weeks in there to work on some exterior projects, but I'm back at it again with the floor. I hand scraped as much of the glued down foam padding as I could, then used steel wool and paint thinner and/or mineral spirits to get the rest of the foam residue off, and now I'm using lacquer thinner to get the rock-hard adhesive off. I tried adhesive remover on a test spot, and it worked, but too well! It ALSO started to remove the varnish, which is exactly what I didn't want, so my husband suggested the lacquer thinner. That is smelly and I I have to use a respirator and close off the room from the rest of the house, but it does the trick without damaging the finish on the floors. I'm nearing the end, but it sure has been one hellish project.
On The Trail

lee polowczuk

Post by lee polowczuk »

that should be a piece of cake to sand off... my kitchen was much worse with the glue and "felt" (original linoleum backing, i think)