Oil Rubbed Bronze Cleaner

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Oil Rubbed Bronze Cleaner

Postby catgb56 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 pm

I have those faucets in my bathroom and am having a heck of a time trying to keep the water spots off/removing the spots that are there. I found this link: http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx- ... arkles.htm
Was wondering if anyone has used this and if its good - removes the spots - brings it back to looking pretty? Also, if anyone has any other suggestions as how to make the faucets look good again?
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon
catgb56

Re: Oil Rubbed Bronze Cleaner

Postby My4t2de » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:14 pm

DId you buy it? If so did it work?
1895 ish Stick Style Queen Anne
My4t2de

Location: NW of Sundine, WSW of BrantR&boots, S of Prairiebox and N of Jokergirl

Postby catgb56 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:34 pm

No, haven't bought that yet. A friend told me of another product called Flitz - metal/bronze/brass/etc cleaner. He swears by it. I think, if between the two, I will probably go with the Flitz. Will let you know how it works. Have to order on line.
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon
catgb56

Postby My4t2de » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:29 am

I keep looking at mine and can't tell if it's really water spots or the finish coming off?
1895 ish Stick Style Queen Anne
My4t2de

Location: NW of Sundine, WSW of BrantR&boots, S of Prairiebox and N of Jokergirl

Postby catgb56 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:11 am

what kind of cleaner are you using? I was just using Windex and a soft cloth. In between cleaning just using the hand towel wiping them dry. I hope the finish is not coming off...YIKES! :shock:
catgb56

Postby poplancaster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:14 am

Be careful in cleaning "oil rubbed bronze". It is a "live" finish and more like a paint than a metal finish on most fixtures. I don't think I would use normal metal polishes on it since it is more of a flat finish and is not very thick.
We just rinse ours of and dry them when they get water spots. Spots have not been a serious problem so far but I notice that the finish differs, depending on the company of mfg. If you are haveing problems, I would suggest contacting the supplier before taking any kind of 3rd party polish to oil rubbed bronze finishes.
Joe L.
poplancaster

Postby catgb56 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Be careful in cleaning "oil rubbed bronze". It is a "live" finish and more like a paint than a metal finish on most fixtures. I don't think I would use normal metal polishes on it since it is more of a flat finish and is not very thick.
We just rinse ours of and dry them when they get water spots. Spots have not been a serious problem so far but I notice that the finish differs, depending on the company of mfg. If you are haveing problems, I would suggest contacting the supplier before taking any kind of 3rd party polish to oil rubbed bronze finishes.

Yikes...I did not know that. Thanks for the warning. Maybe I will e-mail the mfg. of my fixtures and see what they recommend. I hope, in the meantime, I didn't ruin the finish. :roll:
catgb56

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Many ORB finishes are an oxidized patina created on the surface of the metal by a chemical/heat process. A polish or abrasive cleanser is going to remove the patina. Repeated contact with your hands is also going to remove the patina, so there! Hands off, and no hard water nearby! Sounds very sensible for a faucet. LOL
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby Kylie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:16 pm

After many trials and errors, I use Old English Scratch Cover (Dark) that's normally used on furniture and it seems to work like a charm on my oil rubbed bronze bathroom faucets. I made the mistake of soaking my bronze shower head in vinegar once (was told vinegar is safe) and it removed the bronze color.Yikes! I already had a bottle of Old English for my wood furniture and thought I'd try it on my faucet for the heck of it. It won't repair the already damaged shower head, but sure has kept my faucet looking like new. Here's another little hint I discovered. To keep my clear glass shower doors from getting etched by water and looking great, I use Simonize car wax. Apply with the sponge that comes with it, let it sit awhile, and remove with a soft cloth. It both cleans the door and protects it.
Kylie

Postby iwasfoolish » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:43 am

Caution to all of you, Flitz makes several products, you want the wax and not the metal polish for the oil rubbed bronze fixtures. The metal polish strips the finish, the wax preserves it. If you contact Flitz, they will send you samples to try. Does anyone out there know how to restore the finish after its been stripped? Thanks and good luck.
iwasfoolish

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum