dcsimg

my house smells like bad skunk, why?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: my house smells like bad skunk, why?

Postby lanadana on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Did you ever find out where or what the smell was coming from? I have the exact same issue in Oakland CA.
lanadana

Postby barrett on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 pm

It went away after a few weeks. Never found out what caused it and it never came back.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby SouthernLady on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 pm

I would reckon, then, you had something die in a wall. That happened once when I was in high school. A mouse got trapped in the wall and died. Stank like tarnation for about two weeks. :shock:

On a side note concerning the skunk smell--where I work is in a rural area, with all kinds of critters who get active at night. It has been many a morning in the spring and fall when I open the place up I discover the lobby stinks to all-get-out of polecat. And I mean BAD! One evening I had to go by the office around 10:30 at night because I remembered I forgot a project on my desk that I needed. When I got out of my car to unlock the door, the unmistakable smell of skunk was all over the door. The next morning, the outside had no odor, but the lobby reeked. I don't know if those critters were in season, marking territory, or what, but it's getting about that time of year again here and I dread it! Maybe you had a "visitor" marking under your house?
SouthernLady

Postby Aroth01 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:49 am

Our house smells like skunk every morning we wake up. The skunk smell is not outside but just in my living room and kitchen. This smell is driving us crazy and it is embarrassing when we have company stay over. We first thought it was our oil scented plug in and we removed them all the smell went away for a couple days but woke up this morning and it is back. The smell will go away after airing the house out and spraying with deodorizer. We have found no skunk any where near our house and our dog does not smell like skunk. Any ideas where the smell coul be coming from???
Aroth01

Postby kporterf2 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Has anyone pinpointed their exact issue regarding the skunk smell? I am having the same issue in both of my bathrooms. We are on a crawl space. My husband is suspicious of mold, and we are even having someone come out tomorrow to inspect for mold. It is stronger near the vents in both of our bathrooms. We have been running a dehumidifier to help with moisture, but the smell isn't getting any better. We recently replaced flooring in our home (kitchen, dining, living room and hall). I am not sure if we stirred up some mold spores, or if the banging may have done something to the ductwork causing the issue. Weird how the smell is only in the 2 bathroom vents though and not in any other room.
kporterf2

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum