dcsimg

How best to cover up an unused exterior door?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

How best to cover up an unused exterior door?

Postby chris_tx on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:13 am

Hi all, I haven't posted on here for a while (needed a break from renovations, sure you understand!). We are in the planning stages of our exciting kitchen remodel. It's not a huge space, and we decided that the side door to the driveway has got to go (we have another exterior door close by that we use). Below are pictures.

So inside we will basically remove the door and sheetrock over the space and install cabinetry. However, outside the wall is brick and we aren't so lucky as to find anything that matches our 1930's vintage stuff. And we would have to remove the awning, and it's built into the house, so that's a no-go.

At this point, we are thinking of having custom shutters made to install where the door was, basically pretending that they are closed over a door. Maybe add a little iron railing to make it look like a juliet balcony or something. Seems like a logical solution, but I thought I would throw it out to the group since there might be better ideas. It's the "ugly" side of the house with the meter, electrical panel, and stuff.

Oh, and yes the brick will be fixed. There was a step there that we got rid of (so our driveway gate could be installed).

Feedback welcome!

chris_tx

Re: How best to cover up an unused exterior door?

Postby Theresa on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 am

What if you built a little bench at the base, maybe with some trellis work going up the sides to the overhang?
Theresa
Huntley, Illinois
http://www.theresabrandon.com
Theresa

Postby wletson on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 am

Hmmm, what if you boxed in the area beneath the awning and made it into a small storage shed. Completely cover the doorway, and give yourself more outdoor storage. Or a potting shed, whichever makes sense.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby chris_tx on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:21 am

What you don't see in the picture is the driveway gate, which when open, is basically flush with the house. So whatever option needs to essentially not stick out more than a few inches from the house.
chris_tx

Postby jsmit on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:03 pm

You could brick up the opening with a brick of a contrasting color in a decorative pattern. Something like this photo.
If you use a different color, it will look intentional, instead of looking like you tried to match it and couldn't find the exact color.
Attachments
brick-window.jpg
brick-window.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 20594 times
jsmit

Postby angolito on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:35 pm

why don't you simply leave it a door? that way you will not alter the original exterior fabric of your house.

not sure, but i think our local landmark commission deems this the appropriate solution.
angolito

Postby S Melissa on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:48 am

Any of the suggestions would probably work. I recall seeing in old towns - where the road bed has been dropped by a whole storey - that they retained the doors - literally to nowhere - in the buildings. You'll see these doors a whole storey up in the air - often with an iron gate over them to keep you from accidently opening and stepping off into space - just "there." The other option of having the shutters done are perfectly appropriate. I'd shutter them, but be sure to save the nice door so if someone down the line wishes to replace it - they'll have it.

If you do leave the door and put a short gate over it - be sure to black the window in some way so you won't see the back of the drywall stud stuff in the window glass. They will use fake windows in some houses, and they use a black glass which makes the window look "dark" and you just simply don't notice you can't "see in."
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby Wendysaloette on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 am

I have the same problem... this door went to my laundry room but it was dirt floor and ground level. We built it up so floor is level with out porch now. Not sure what to do with it. I would love to brick it up but can't b/c of access door for under our house is at the bottom. This room use to be open to under our house.

(It will not let me upload my picture)
Wendysaloette

Return to General Discussions Forum