dcsimg

16" standing seam metal roof -Will I be sorry??

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

16" standing seam metal roof -Will I be sorry??

Postby oxford on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:13 am

Hi all:
Will 16" standing seam look "industrial" on my 1900 folk Victorian?? Not many metal roofs here in Michigan. I have found a good contractor but his machine produces 16" profiles. He could order 12" but it would be much more expensive. Will I be sorry if I go with 16"???? Any color suggestions??

Here's a pic of the house when it was new.

30 W. Burdick Street.jpg
30 W. Burdick Street.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 2438 times
oxford

Re: 16" standing seam metal roof -Will I be sorry??

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm

I like honest to goodness standing seams, where the seams are formed as the pans are installed. I'm less thrilled with the preformed snap-lock roofing, which looks similar to real standing seam, except the factory-made snap seams are taller and thicker.
Real standing seam is made pre-painted or site painted. The site -painted stuff is made from 18 ga. terne-coat metal, and a good technician can get any detail out of it; any change in pitch, valley, built-in gutter, custom flashing, dormer or edge detail. They can even do soldered flat seams on very low-pitched (virtually flat) roofs. Details that can't be effectively done (or are completely impossible) with pre-painted.
Metal roofs are a traditional characteristic of Shenandoah Valley architecture, and almost every house I work on has some standing seam.

Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby rehabbingisgreen on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Do you have a photo of it now? Does it have the same siding as in the photo?
rehabbingisgreen

Postby oxford on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the info Casey. The machine the roofer has produces a snap lock profile on site so it probably won't have the good old fashioned dimensions you spoke of. Unfortunately, metal roofs are few and far between up here so it's hard to find contractors.
oxford

Postby oxford on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 am

rehabbingisgreen - It currently has aluminum siding, an enclosed porch, etc. The roof would be the first step in "restoring" the exterior. Original roof was cedar shake but I can't find a contractor who is confident about the longevity of cedar (due to inexperience with the product, I'm sure) which scares me off.
Attachments
IMG00118-20091206-1506.jpg
IMG00118-20091206-1506.jpg (538.78 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
oxford

Postby khwils on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 am

WOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock: They really "Aluminumize encapsulated" the beauty out of that old girl. The difference in the beauty of the house in the original picture to the current abomination is mind boggling!

Good luck in bringing her back, you'll have a beauty when you finish - well or at least hit the 80% or 90% mark!

Kurt
khwils

Postby rehabbingisgreen on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 am

I see you are in Michigan, I'm sorry I'm going to assume it's a cold winter there because it is north and ask if you get much snow? Your weather should play a big part in your roof choice. I'm in Northern Ca. and metal roofs are quite common because the weather beats up on comp roofs. Hot, cold in the summer and lots of snow in the winter. We don't generally have gutters here either because rain is scarce, we get our moisture in snow. The snow forms into ice on the comp roofs with gutters and it is a mess. I rent a house where the p/o put up gutters, it gets bad. On a house with a metal roof, gutters could pose a problem is heavy snow is an issue. But then if you get rain gutters might just save your foundation. Anyway sorry for the long story but if you get a measurable amount of snow be aware that stuff will often spontaneously fall off the roof in a big sheet so whatever in under the roof line will get a pile instead of the slow melt a comp usually has. My poor neighbor usually has a tall pile of snow on the side of his house every year while my yard is melted off lol.

Nice looking house btw :D
rehabbingisgreen

Postby CycloneOfRed on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

We're in Ionia, MI, and we have a metal roof (and if it's not the houses original roof, it's not far from it). It might be because we didn't heat the upstairs this winter, but we didn't have any problems with snow piling next to the house, I don't think I once saw snow on the ground that was a result of it falling off of our roof, nor have we had any issues with our gutters. Although, to be fair we've only been in this place for a little over four months now...
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

CycloneOfRed

Postby avjudge on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

Resized & together for easier comparison:
Attachments
now.jpg
Now
now.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
then.jpg
Then
then.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
Anne
Image Image
avjudge

Postby Don M on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:08 pm

Interesting that they kept the two tone colors like the original! It is amazing how much she changed with the addition of the siding & loss of the railings & porch posts! Our house has a standing seam room applied over the original cedar shingles probably around 1880; it is still strong & sound. We can get a lot of snow & this winter was especially heavy! We have gutters & metal snow stops or "Snow Eagles" on the roof which stops the snow from sliding off the roof. I thought we were going to lose gutters due to ice build-up but the 6" half rounds stayed put. It is true that on steeply pitched roofs without the snow stops large quantities of snow can slide off; make a lot of noise & does major damage the structures & plants below. (Our wagon shed has no snow stops!) Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum