Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Postby Leslie Ap on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:39 am

What's the room in your house that you can't stand?

Maybe you don't have this room, but in our house, it's the kitchen! Cruddy cabinets, bad flooring and counter tops, ugly paint, etc, etc, complain, complain. Never feels clean enough, so I don't want to cook in it- even after I clean. Can't WAIT to work some magic on this room. If budget allows, we're thinking counter depth fridge, intergrated dishwasher and new (or restored!) EVERYTHING. Can. Not. Wait.

Phew- I feel better! Thanks for listening!
Leslie Ap

Re: Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Postby Luetic on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:10 am

for us it is the kitchen too. but with little ones running around the restoration will have to wait
Luetic

Postby mandy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:39 am

yes..the kitchen...where do I start...We had it gutted, it was awful. Leaking pipes, wires sparking, plaster crumbling, First thing I did was rip up the 50 million different kinds od floors to get to the hardwood. Found it, but non in the newer section, so we had to fix the rot, and add tile { that room is now the laundry room}. Then with the 3 doors, chimney wall, and 2 windows..we had to figure out how to put everything.. So out went the back door *not original* and out went a window...I hate to admit this..but I need that wall for the stove..on a happier note I did restore 2 windows in the livingroom..so it evens out :cry: . Well the contractor screwed us over..so now I still have a half finished kitchen..I can cook though, but new dishwasher, and disposal is just sitting there taunting us..Oh and a guy is coming today to finish the tile counters!!

I also have 2 bathroom I despise.
mandy

Postby lla on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:11 am

For me it was the upstairs bath. Since that is finally fixed (hurray!! See the Picture Forum) I've moved on to hating the kitchen. Icky vinyl floors and simulated wood grain thermofoil cabinets. Fortunately/unfortunately all the appliances are still in good shape (since I fixed the oven door hinge) so I can't justify a remodel just yet.

But when I get bored one of these days the ugly boxed fluorescent light fixture above the sink is going to get torn out. Once that goes there will probably be no place to stop until the whole kitchen is redone!

Lori
Lori
1923 Dutch Colonial
lla

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 am

My 23 yo son's bedroom. Ugh! Just kidding (sort of). For me it's the basement. We moved in and kind of just picked spots for stuff, but it's really not working and there is too much stuff scattered all over. My Fall project is to clean it out, but new shelving and reorganize the way we use the space.
oldhouseluvr

Postby YinzerMama on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 am

I feel like all I ever do it b*tch and complain... but I can't think of a single room to say "I hate so much!!!"

My kitchen was pretty awesome... but now the floor needs ripped out and replaced so it's kind of a disaster, the fridge is on the back porch which isn't exactly convenient, but oh well. it's temporary. I'm holding out hope DH will cave and agree to hiring someone else to do the floor so it will eventually be fixed and fixed quickly. To be honest the floor always kinda drove me nuts anyway because the lines in the tiles didn't line up - I was stunned to hear when I called up the PO to ask what was underneath it that they hired pros to do it. I would have been livid if I paid someone and they laid the floor like that.

My hallway is a mess... but once my stripping is done it will be lovely and I will be so proud.

I don't like the asbestos room under the front sun room because it is so smelly is makes me gag but it's just for storage so I don't go in there much anyway. Pretty much all we have in there are fans, extra boxes, and the fireplace insert that I had to remove because my girls started pulling the pieces out and trying to eat them.

Maybe the computer room is the worst. The closet runs the length of the short end. You can't put a bed in this room because there is a door against the one wall it could go, and a radiator in the way on the other. If they had just put the door at the other end of the closet, this room would be SO much more usable. It could be a small bedroom. As it stands only a toddler bed would fit... down the line we might change this. It will be a mess but I think will really increase the value of the house, such a small change to add a bedroom.

All in all I guess I like my house... I just hate the neighborhood.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Vaso7 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:39 pm

oldhouseluvr wrote:For me it's the basement. We moved in and kind of just picked spots for stuff, but it's really not working and there is too much stuff scattered all over. My Fall project is to clean it out, but new shelving and reorganize the way we use the space.

Same here. Right now it looks like a dungeon. I did clean the laundry room so that's a relief but the rest it is despicable. We need to clean and paint and then organize all the stuff and I am sure *deodorize* the place....But it needs so much prep work that is discouraging. We already put quiet a few weekends of work but we are nowhere near the end. I am not even looking for perfection, just decent.
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby eperot on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Leslie wrote:
Cruddy cabinets, bad flooring and counter tops, ugly paint

Check, check, check, and....check. We absolutely hate our kitchen and cannot wait to redo it, but it is (believe it or not) at the end of our list. Both because it will be the most expensive room to redo and i want to finish the upstairs first.
But i feel your pain. However, as a first time homeowner, I'm just glad to have a kitchen i can call mine.
8)
Jacob Beaty House - c.1874
eperot

Postby rehabbingisgreen on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:09 pm

My kitchen is really, really bad and it isn't something we can fix in the very near future.
rehabbingisgreen

Postby Igloochic on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 am

Our kitchen is on the back porch, it's akward, but I don't cook much so I don't mind. I'd love to have a mud room though and it's in the way.

Really, it's more the yard. the outside is way out of control and it stresses me out. I'm going to rip it all out but I don't have time nor am I mean enough to take a bulldozer to it (the gardens were aclaimed just a year ago). So in order to save the plants I'm takign time and letting people take them, but in the mean time it's a mess.

Other than that....the house is huge. If I don't like a room I just shut the door and move on :) I did hate the laundry, which was outside of the house in a cellar full of spiders the size of my fist (ok not really that big but I hate spiders). I did hate that room for the purpose it was used for. Now the laundry is in a huge room on the second floor....oddly I'm still behind on laundry :)
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum