dcsimg

bathroom vanity question ..?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

bathroom vanity question ..?

Postby David » Fri Jul 21, 2000 4:22 pm

Hey guys - I need some more help..

We're going to use a 1920's sideboard as our dual vanity in our bathroom. I've got 2 drop in cast iron sinks and am ready to go, but....what should I do to protect the vanity. It's solid 1" oak, but shouldn't I poly the top at least ? We're not putting any kind of marble top or anything - just the nice stained wood.

Should I coat the whole piece ? just the top ? Use polyurethane ? any other options ?

Thanks !

meranddave@earthlink.net
David

Re: bathroom vanity question ..?

Postby Laura » Sat Jul 22, 2000 9:18 am

How about a marine quality spar urethane??? I THINK it is called that-the stuff they use on the wood in boats-which is exposed to lotsa moisture....

Boneea@aol.com
Laura

Postby Brian McGee » Wed Jul 26, 2000 9:10 am

David,

Laura has a good idea about the spar varnish. It's a form of polyeurethane. You might want to make sure you don't get high gloss (unless that's what you want). Spar varnish is usually VERY shiny.

If it's truly an antique, maybe it would be worthwhile to make a spare top that you cut holes in and varnish. If you finish the rest of the cabinet with something that's less -- permanent, it will be easy to take the sink top out and put the old one back in to have your furniture back if you ever change your mind.

Brian
Brian McGee

Postby vincent08 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Laura wrote:How about a marine quality spar urethane??? I THINK it is called that-the stuff they use on the wood in boats-which is exposed to lotsa moisture....

Boneea@aol.com

Hello Laura,
I totally agree with you.
vincent08

Postby marry123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:00 am

David wrote:Hey guys - I need some more help..

We're going to use a 1920's sideboard as our dual vanity in our . I've got 2 drop in cast iron sinks and am ready to go, but....what should I do to protect the vanity. It's solid 1" oak, but shouldn't I poly the top at least ? We're not putting any kind of marble top or anything - just the nice stained wood.

Should I coat the whole piece ? just the top ? Use polyurethane ? any other options ?

Thanks !

meranddave@earthlink.net

Hello David,

I think you need to paint your bathroom vanity.
I hope it will help you. But if not then you should use the polyurethane.
marry123

Postby Brany190 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 pm

I am not quite sure about it.
Brany190

Return to General Discussions Forum