Historic preservation - before & after photos

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

ivanho

Historic preservation - before & after photos

Post by ivanho »

Our house was designated a historical landmark in Minneapolis. I was opposed to the designation, but we bought the house anyway. The house was approved for designation under two criteria: 1. Significant persons were owners. 2. Queen Anne style.

I don't think the house would have been nominated if not for a total porch remodel done in 2006. The porch was gutted and rebuilt, changing the appearance of the house substantially. The original house looked like a hybrid, with an enclosed porch. The owner who remodeled the porch was seeking a Shingle style front porch because he considered the house a Shingle style house.

I don't like the fact the city would try and orchestrate any finish work on the front porch, as it's not original to the house. What do you think of the original, enclosed porch?
Attachments
LaurelFront.JPG
LaurelFront.JPG (230.13 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Laure1999.jpg
Laure1999.jpg (358.25 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

jwesevich

Re: Historic preservation - before & after photos

Post by jwesevich »

Sorry, but 1999 no workee...ya done good!

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"

ivanho

Post by ivanho »

I'm probably going to apply for a permit with the 1999 photo as the goal to "restore the front porch to it's original glory in the interest of preservation". I'd like to attend the preservation board meeting when they take this up.

I'm by no means an expert on Queen Ann architecture, but I've yet to see any Queen Anne porches like the one that was torn down.

I would like to get the city off my back. The new porch looks nothing like the pug-nosed original. Why would the city feel they should be able to orchestrate the finish work on the porch. All they've done prior to the landmark designation is allow decades of destruction to the property as it was sucked dry as an income-producing 4-plex.

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

I must say I agree with Jeff, the 1999 porch does not work for me either and the new one does. I actually like the house a lot more without the stucco treatments around the first floor foundation, doors, windows and frieze board. And I prefer the look of the open porch.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

nickd

Post by nickd »

To be honest, I'm not convinced that the old 1999 photo (with the boxier porch) is the original porch. It could be that that replaced the original front porch. The current front porch seems to be an attempt to get closer to what would have been there originally. Do you have any evidence that the boxier porch was the original, i.e. historic photos of the house that have the old porch?

ivanho

Post by ivanho »

It's the original porch. There is a much older photo of the house in a local historical archive.

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Why is it stucco?
Why would a stucco porch inspire feelings of authenticity on a wood-clad Victorian?
I don't think anyone has come close to the original details.
You need to research the house more thoroughly.
The post layout and scuppered, shingled demi-walls are weird!
It looks kinda familiar, like a pattern-book plan. (Barber, Comstock, etc.)
Casey

Marylu

Post by Marylu »

I have to agree with others. The porch from 1999 does not look original to the house. The stucco and trim on first floor is totally out of character with the second story of the house. Do you know when your house was built?
1868 Schoolhouse, Southern Wisconsin
http://fp1.centurytel.net/ladybug/index.html

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

It looks like there is stucco on the side of the 1999 green house picture, still, I don't like it. I agree with the others. I love your porch, it looks like it's original to the house.

eperot

Post by eperot »

I could be dead wrong but I find it nearly impossible to believe that the 1999 picture is the original porch. It is totally different from the style of the rest of the house. I think the newer porch is much more appropriate. Beautiful house!
Jacob Beaty House - c.1874