dcsimg

Potential way to stop spammers?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Potential way to stop spammers?

Postby jade mortimer on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm

shagdude....is there anything we can do to help? what about the other moderators? i think the owners need to be more hands on if we have to deal with the advertising...perhaps you can pass along our lovely comments... :mrgreen:

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Sacto Diane on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Most spammers use automated forum spambot software that can spam thousands of forums like this in a very short time. The programs are sophisticated that can automate the email confirmation process and even understand and input into Captcha filters. It's amazing to see how the software works. Going "dark" doesn't solve anything as the software comes with a database of sites like this and once you're in the database you're somewhat screwed.

A popular one is called xRumer. If curious, here's a video where a guy walks through posting to a 100L forums in about 10 min..

http://youtu.be/AL2i4SNPJmg

Diane
Sacto Diane

Postby Sashguy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:59 am

Schag,

This response from the IT Techie who handles our phpBB administration;

George,

First of all our BB is kind of closed – it’s a bit tougher to make it on to our BB than most others. Also the BB has a method of deleting a person and all therir posts – it’s been there for years. When you delete a person it does ask “Delete all posts?”. So the developers must have seen this as a problem way back when.

- Sharon
Sashguy

Postby Schag on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am

Tell George thanks.
I locked down the boards, but that can't last forever if we want new users.
I noticed the Delete Messages option, but that one guy had almost 3000 posts, and it didn't completely work.
The post titles were still there, but the messages were gone at least.

I still haven't heard from the site owners...no surprise there.
I'm still going to keep the board in lock down for at least a couple of weeks.

Everyone, I also need you to mark any spam that you see.
There may still be some incoming stragglers that signed up before the lock down, but hadn't activated yet.
Thanks,
Schag
Schag

Postby catya v.2.0 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Interesting – so its kinda like absentee landlords who just let in any kind of sleazy renter, no matter what effect it has on the neighborhood.

That would explain why the articles on the rest of the website bear no relation to the forum (for example stuff about replacement windows but nothing much about repairing windows). And why the articles haven’t been changed in a GAZILLION years, and why if you try to email the authors and ask questions about what was in the articles - you get no reply

This is a friendly and active forum – w/ knowledgeable members and you get a lot of good timely responses to your questions. Too bad we couldn’t have a whole website to work with that is more integrated with the forum and the online community. Or could we? How hard would it be to make a duplicate of the forum and plunk it down into a different website where we could have our own choice of how-to articles, community building features, & advertising.

I was on another website for many years – felinediabetes.com – and while there was a site owner who had ultimate control (and who did exercise that control from time to time), the online community was very involved with creating articles and community building. It was (and still is) wonderful and helpful place.

Would probably have to change the name of the website though – or maybe not. How long would it take them to notice that Old House Web & their url was being re-directed to another website. (Hahahah just joking there !)
catya v.2.0

Postby mross_pitt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:29 pm

On another note, why are two people moderators who haven't visited since 2009 or 2010?

I did always wonder why the website articles didn't seem particularly old house oriented, rather more like something you might find in the how to section of a big box store website.
mross_pitt

Postby johnleeke on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 am

I'm sorry to hear about all these problems at Old House Web. At the risk of being accused of "self promotion" I can suggest that anyone is welcome to use my Historic HomeWorks Forum, right over here:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/index.php

where there is no advertising and no spamming problem, because the "place is owner occupied" and I have full administrative power to keep it that way.

John

(feel free to delete this message if it does not meet your "self promotion" rules)
johnleeke

Postby trice001 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:51 am

thanks for that.
trice001

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum