Cast Iron pipe and strange clay thingy --what is it?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

lupinfarm

Cast Iron pipe and strange clay thingy --what is it?

Post by lupinfarm »

--There is a pipe that sticks out of the ground outside my kitchen wall close to the foundation. Today I decided I should probably dig it up get rid of it. After a lot of digging I discovered it is attached to what appears to be a large clay pipe thingy.
The vertical pipe appears to rotate as though it is on a ball joint and surrounding it is a black pliable material. oh and I should
mention that on the other side of the foundation wall is my cement cistern. The soil around the clay thingy has a decidedly
Pooey smell to it.
Any ideas what this could be and what I should do to either remove it or make it safe?
Attachments
Cast iron pipe and strange clay thingy.jpg
Cast iron pipe and strange clay thingy.jpg (191.7 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

lakee911

Re: Cast Iron pipe and strange clay thingy --what is it?

Post by lakee911 »

You probably need to keep digging to find out...
A blog about buying, improving, and living in a 1921 American Four Square in Clintonville, OH.

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

I am dreading it, but I guess it's unavoidable.

shazapple

Post by shazapple »

I think my kitchen sink was separately drained from the septic system at one point (or there was an outhouse instead of a septic system). The clay pipe may be drainage or an old weeping tile.

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Lupin farm, one question and two possible answers. Does your indoor systern have a lid on it? If so it very well might be the vent for the systern or the fill for it. At one time it may have been attached to a gutter. The joint was probably sealed with oakum and some sort of tar sealant that has failed and now turns freely. Usually it's oakum and lead solder but solder will not bind to the clay piece. Only other thing I can think of is the vent to an old septic system long been abandoned.

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

Shazapple I thought that it might be an old weeping tile system..I do live in the country on an old Century Farm. So I am not
sure if the original owners of the house had much money and would have known about weeping tile. I spoke with a descendent of the original owners but one. She says the family was not very well off in the 1880s. She remembers spending summers at the farm when she was a kid ( she is now in her early 90s) and it was still heated by a wood stove in the kitchen and didn't have indoor plumbing. If you wanted to pee you either braved the trip to the outhouse ( potential for a Human Bear encounter) or you waited until morning. She says they used sleep on cots in front of the wood stove. Her sisters and herself
visited in the summers from Buffalo to help out with the harvest. I uncovered a little more of the "Clay Thingy" but its
still not clear where it goes.
Attachments
Clay Thingy.jpg
Clay Thingy.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 5588 times

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

My indoor system..Do you mean Cistern GothicHome?. I do have a septic system out the back of the house. Its cement and
has a cement cover on on it. My cistern is not covered the floor joist system rests on it and there is a finished floor ontop of
that. We had the cistern drained and other than a leaky foundation it hasn't refilled with water. Although I would not call the
stuff that came out of the cistern "Water" :)
See the "Bucket of Mud" image. :lol:
Attachments
bucket of mud.jpg
bucket of mud.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 5588 times

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Yes, cistern. There I go again, tying before thinking.

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

My typing skills are a bit"hit and miss" to. :) that's okay.

Tom and Jada

Post by Tom and Jada »

I'm thinking it may be a vent for an old septic tank, or as GothicHome mentioned, a pipe that downspout water emptied into to carry it into either the cistern or septic. You won't know for sure until you dig it out. The clay looks a lot like pipe that was used for wastewater back in the day. Could be terra cotta or another material.
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com