Closet Door Suggestions Needed

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Closet Door Suggestions Needed

Postby Accolay on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for stopping by.

The second floor in this house has been redone over the years. The re-muddle upstairs layout isn't terrible- probably almost the best one could do with the space available. (Lets not talk about ripping out all the plaster to put in a crappy drywall job that I'm still fixing- and not completely rewiring when the walls were down. Lets not mention that.)

Anyway. The closet in the largest bedroom has a closet, but the doors are giant mirrors. I don't like. You can actually see where the old door used to be in the wood floor below, but I think the closet would work well with double doors. I don't want an accordion door with slats either.

I'm thinking maybe wood pocket doors. What do you think? Any ideas? If pocket doors would be the best solution, any affordable options around?

Thanks in advance.
Accolay

Re: Closet Door Suggestions Needed

Postby Hoosier Foursquare on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:52 pm

We have a closet in our kids room that is very similar to yours. It originally had some funky 1970's cruddy doors. We're going to go with wooden bi-fold doors that are custom made to fit the odd sized opening that we have and at the same time, mimic the original oak entry door to the room.

As far as pocket doors go, you have to have a wall cavity for the doors to go into in the open position. From looking at your picture, it appears that you wall on the left runs perpendicular to the closet opening. does the wall on the right run perpendicular as well?

If so, the only way a pocket door would work would to frame up that opening to about half the current width and install a single sliding pocket door.

Here's a couple of pictures of the closet in our boys room prior to finishing it to give you an idea of what we were working with as far as our opening goes and the doors we will be installing, hope this helps some.
Attachments
IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG (102.65 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
IMG_4277 smaller.jpg
IMG_4277 smaller.jpg (113.22 KiB) Viewed 9714 times
Closet Bifold Doors.jpg
Closet Bifold Doors.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 9713 times
Hoosier Foursquare

Postby Tom and Jada on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm

It doesn't look like pocket doors will work for you. As Hoosier Foursquare said, you need a wall cavity big enough to hold them, which this doesn't appear to have.

Have you thought about French doors? The opening looks to be large enough to accommodate them and they are usually not too difficult to find salvaged.
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com
Tom and Jada

Postby Accolay on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks for the ideas guys. If pocket doors were the way to go I could build the wall, but I'm still undecided. Either way, I'll be taking off that plywood. Might be left open for now until I get the rest of the room finished. I'm getting tired of the living room as bedroom.
Accolay

Postby Verve on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 am

I had a closet like that in our previous house and hated the bifold doors. I took a nice heavy rod and curtain that matched the windows and covered the opening with that. Just used a pretty tie back and when I didn't want to see the content of the closet just pulled the curtain shut. Just an idea :D
c. 1902 Shingle Victorian
Angela
Verve

Postby catya v.2.0 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm

I have a closet like that that was put in probably in the 60s or 70s, but with cheap hollow core doors instead of mirror. At first I was going to make some bead board panels and install them on hinges as doors (painting doors and wood framing to match, so it looks original. I would have put in two vertical pieces so there would be 3 doors covering a 48 inch opening. There was such a thing as built in cabinetry and linen closets and such in the early 1900s, they just used bead board panels and not plywood or hollow core doors.

But then I got to thinking .... hmmm what would an early 1900s sliding closet door look like, if there was such a thing. Im going to try making sliding doors out of bead board (glued together in panels with bracing on the back). Not technically, historically accurate but itll look like it could be! There's all kinds of interesting sliding door hardware, some made out of iron, wood rollers, etc. The whole barn door thing is really trendy these days so the hardware for that is easy to find - but kinda expensive.
catya v.2.0

Postby Curtie on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:18 am

Verve wrote:I had a closet like that in our previous house and hated the bifold doors. I took a nice heavy rod and curtain that matched the windows and covered the opening with that. Just used a pretty tie back and when I didn't want to see the content of the closet just pulled the curtain shut. Just an idea :D

See,it doesn't look likebifold doors will work for you. I think you need a wall cavity big enough to hold them and a more quality curtain, probably https://hovement.com/best-curtains-for-living-room/ for more elegance, which this doesn't appear to have. Ultimately, French doors could also prove handy, thanks to their large openings that would defintely suit the curtains.
Curtie

Return to General Discussions Forum