Light Green Rooms

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

joealexander

Re: Light Green Rooms

Post by joealexander »

We used Sherwin Williams (I believe Sage Green--I can check if you're curious). We've used Benjamin Moore in the past. Both are great paints and I might even say that I like Benjamin Moore's pallets better, I just get a little overwhelmed with howthey present their colors. We've tried to stay true to the age of the house color choices and Benjamin Moore has the tendency to lump lots of colors together in their printed materials, without regard to architectural period. Sherwin Williams very easily sorts colors by years of historical use.

This is the baby's room we redid this summer (he was just born this week, by the way!

Joe

sooth

Post by sooth »

Congrats, Joe!

And "Sage Green" seems right. A quick Google search turns up several rooms that have the same shade of green.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

Congratulations to Joe, Mrs. Joe, and Baby Boy (Is he a "Joe" also?).

I don't have an green rooms to show you. My husband dislikes green with a passion so the only green in our house tends to be plants. There are some pretty greens to choose from. We use Sherwin Williams paints because we have a dealer in town and our contractor loves Sherwin Williams.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

joealexander

Post by joealexander »

Thanks for the well-wishes Sooth and Kansas.

I dealt with the same negative view of green with my wife. It took painting a room green while she was gone to convice her. There's something about green that makes trim in your room really stand out. Whether it is natural or stained and polished wood, or in my case, beadboard wainscott and a heavy chair-rail in Sherwin Williams Classic Light Buff.

And as for the baby, being generally obsessed with the Victorian period and a Dickens Scholar to boot, we chose Oliver for the name. David Copperfield is actually my favorite character, but I didn't want to explain over the next couple of decades that its not the magician he's named for. We almost used Trotwood as a middle name--maybe the next baby!

Joe

lavender_bush

Post by lavender_bush »

Welcome Oliver - Oliver Alexander? Very nice!

Green can be such a hard color, I think you're looking for more of a "leaf green" - I'm a huge fan of sage green (and yes I do know that sage is a leaf), I think I have a sofa you'd like - it's just (barely) on the tasteful side of lime : )

I want to paint our hallway at the Purple House green but until we choose a runner for the stairs... I've wimped out and bought a creamy yellow.

I love green, it can look so good in some light and really bad in others. Thankfully you all have a better eye for paint colors than I do :cry:

sooth

Post by sooth »

I suppose I should update this with my sample paint photos (I thought I had).

Don't ask me what the colour is, it's a colour match to a Wal-Mart hand towel. Hahahaha.
JC
1923 Foursquare

Don M

Post by Don M »

I love the two organs in the earlier pictures especially the pipe organ! Also congratulations on your new son Oliver! Our front hallway is a kind of Wiliamsburg blue but looks green The wainscoting in the dining room is a deeper shade of the same color.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

cadrad

Post by cadrad »

sooth are you on wavy glass yet? what is your handle?
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org

sooth

Post by sooth »

Of course I'm on WG. I'm also on there as "sooth". But I'm still lingering here a bit. The last time I checked, there wasn't a ton of traffic on WG yet.
JC
1923 Foursquare

Don M

Post by Don M »

Have you finally decided on a paint color---have you paineted your room? Please be sure to post a picture of the final result!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse