dcsimg

Sliding doors as a room divider

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sliding doors as a room divider

Postby erinandbrad on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone has seen or has sliding doors as room dividers?
Let me clarify. We have an opening of about 6 ft between our kitchen and dining room, which has a nice cozy fireplace. In the winter we currently put a solid curtain up because the dining room gets cool and we don't use it all the time. Closing it off has really helped with the Oil bill!! :D
We added an electric heater in the wall, but we will only use that when we know we're using the room, it help warm it up quickly. Obviously in the warmer months we don't need the curtain and take it down. We are finishing a remodeling project and have come up with the sliding door idea.

Use either one large door or 2 smaller ones, with a glass section so you can still see into the "cold room" (as we call it now) to see the fireplace etc. The doors would hang and slide on a track so we could open them when using the room and in the warm months. Ideally they would look like old sliding barns doors. I have been to some salvage places around and searched the internet and have come up with some options. The sliding track from a horse stall might work great for the track.

I was just hoping maybe someone has seen or done this and could add some insight. Or at least reassure me that this isn't a crazy idea. :shock:

Thank you
Brad
Erin and Brad
Old Home owners..just trying to learn how to build our dream..and not go broke trying.
1925 Gambrel
erinandbrad

Postby Nancy W on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:07 pm

How about French doors? Then you would not have to worry about hiding the track. Horse stall track sounds like it woud need a casual setting; but perhaps that's what you have. Sliding closet door track might be sturdy enough and possibly easier to hide.
Nancy W

Postby erinandbrad on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:16 pm

We are actually not trying to hide it, nor can we. I would have loved pocket doors but there isn't enough wall space for them. I think french doors would be to much of a formal and permanent closing. We wanted something that was different, and casual. I call it a dining room, but it will be far from formal. Just a nice place to sit down for a meal with freinds a family and enjoy a fire in the winter.
Erin and Brad
Old Home owners..just trying to learn how to build our dream..and not go broke trying.
1925 Gambrel
erinandbrad

Postby BobG on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:16 am

I'm with nancy on the french doors. If you make bifold french doors (each panel about 18" wide) you can span the 6' opening, and if the doors are mounted properly, will fold completely out of the opening.

My childhood 1840's home had this arrangement between the dining room and the informal parlor (we called it the TV room, it would be called a family room these days). We kept them open most of the time, and only shut them on special occasions, or when we had people sleeping in the TV room. Ours had a single column of windows in each panel, but I've seen them with two colums of windows, also.

We'll be re-creating this type of door for dividing our living room when we put the wall back up that was taken down in the 30's.
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby erinandbrad on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:03 am

Thanks for the suggesstions on the french doors.
I agree that they would solve the dividing issue and allow for us to see into the room. However, we do not want to got that route.
I want something unique. I have the summer to work on it so I'll take my time and gather as much information and supplies as I can.
Erin and Brad
1925 Gambrel
erinandbrad

Postby erinandbrad on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:10 pm

I finally found a picture of what I want.
Just thought I'd share my excitement.

http://www.betterbarns.com/DistinctiveD ... ?ImageID=2
Erin and Brad
1925 Gambrel
erinandbrad

Postby Starr-Point on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:37 pm

I really love that idea. They can make all sorts of opening as well: with glass, grates, plain, etc. as one might for a real horse stall.

Unfortunately, that's just way to casual for my house - it would be ridiculously out of place.

Show us a photo when they're done!
RSS
Starr-Point

Postby Don M on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Hi erinandbrad,
We had two doors like that in our renovated Cider Mill in MA. I built a pocket wall to conceal the big exterior sliding door which covered a new glass sliding door mounted in the original opening outside the wood slider. We had a second interior sliding door that opened between the great room and the rest of the house. It was also original to the building; it looked good & worked fine. Don
Don M

Postby erinandbrad on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks Don..Sounds nice.
We went to a large Salvage place over the weekend and also saw some old large doors, possibly office doors, that we might also use.
I'm in no rush on the project. I just want something different besides the usual suspects. Didn't realize you lived in MA at one time. :wink:
Erin and Brad
1925 Gambrel
erinandbrad

Postby Don M on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33 pm

Susan's family has lived in Groton, MA since 1931. We were given the old Cider Mill as a wedding gift by her Grandmother. It had been offered to both of Susan's older sisters but neither had the vision to see what it could be! Don
Don M

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum