$15,000 kitchen cabinets?????

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Don M on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:04 am

We have a Hoosier from Susan's g-mother's kitchen. Our kitchen is tiny but it has custom built pine cabinets with inset raised panel doors which were installed in 1964 when the house had it's major renovation. I bought a very heavy but small island that has a good butcher block top & good large drawer storage. That added some needed counter space. We replaced the old worn out counter tops and added a nice tile backsplash with a few inset custom tiles that match Susan's stoneware dishes. The only new cabinets are a couple tall pantry units surrounding the fridge---they made a huge difference in usable storage. Probably $2k! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby stjomo on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:07 am

don i envy you guys with family history in your kitchen. we will have 2 be content with enjoying the "finding". those old hoosiers were so well organized like a little RV kitchenette with a place for everything. i would always be reluctant to close the doors...but too messy not to.
stjomo

Postby S Melissa on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:45 pm

About 4 years ago I did a complete remodeling of my kitchen - vintage 1978 - the best I could afford at the time. This time I worked with a designer to develop a lay out that worked better than what I had. She offered custom cabinets (didn't I feel fancy???) and I bought beautiful - and I mean beautiful butter yellow (painted) hard maple inside and out with recessed doors and full pull out drawers and sliding shelves (top and bottom) lower cabinets - they are gorgeous. The best part about having custom is that you can fit the nooks and crannies to maximize your space.

I spent $20K on them. Not including installation - which was a bear. My kitchen is about 400/450 square feet. We have an island (sorry stjomo) with a 2" thick cherry top on it (now less than perfect thanks to boys and Tootsie the wonder dog) - but it's wood - and when the dog's dead and the boys have moved away (leaving their poor mother alone with their crazy father :shock: ) I will have to refinish it.

Just last winter I had a Thomasville kitchen put into a project I was working on - an old house turned into RE office. bought em from HD - they are just "so - so" in my opinion - I was disappointed in their overall quality. The Amish sound like a good option for the midwesterners!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Re: $15,000 kitchen cabinets?????

Postby s.kelly on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Oh not a more!
s.kelly

Re: $15,000 kitchen cabinets?????

Postby amilymacbrown on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:15 am

In the modern era definition of designing is completely change. Earlier where housewives used to design kitchen by choosing handy products, Now such products or other things are chosen according to kitchen designers. And in present scenario I am not amazed of a anybody spends $15,000 for kitchen cabinets.
amilymacbrown

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum