dcsimg

James in NC photo album

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: James in NC photo album

Postby angolito on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

oh, james. i am absolutely floored at your home. stop giving all the credit away, and yes, you are right, if i were the PO i would graciously request that the topless photo ( not the one of the roof) be deleted!~!!!! :lol:
angolito

Postby S Melissa on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 pm

OMG!! I'll get that off - I was in a hurry and didn't look for it - gone - as of NOW!! :oops:
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby S Melissa on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:30 pm

OK, better now! sorry folks - and James - the semi-naked man has gone into cyber space!!
Melissa
Canton, MI
S Melissa

Postby lavender_bush on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:46 pm

ha ha how funny - our neighbors have a gardener that does all of the yard work while not wearing a t-shirt, it really doesn't matter about the weather, rain or shine? There he is topless - we call him the 'half naked gardener'.

I was at the Purple House a couple of weeks ago and just had to call my DH at home to tell him that one of our neighbors there uses the 'half naked gardener' :lol:

Sorry for the hi-jack :oops:

James - What a total treasure of a house, an amazing job by you and the PO.
lavender_bush

Postby oldhouseluvr on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 pm

James - I posted before the recent forum crash but see now that my post has disappeared. :( Don't know if you got to read it before it "poofed", but wanted to tell you again that I am in awe of your efforts to live in this house with little in the way of modern amenities. You are a true preservationist!
oldhouseluvr

Postby kec01 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm just reading this post for the first time and I cannot believe the transformation of your home, James. WOW! I love it. And I'm not even able to see the topless photos. Thanks, Melissa for posting the pix. James, This might be a dumb question, but given the before....what was it about the house that made you say "I will buy this place"?
kec01

Postby James on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Well for starters, this place is NOT that primative. I mean it's got electric lights, and central heat and air, and running water. A laundry room so I could stop the trips to the laundromat would be nice. High speed internet would also be nice, but there is no telling when that will be available out here.
A friend who lives about an hour and a half from here and has yet to come visit, emailed me last summer when it was so hot and asked if this place was air conditioned. You move outside of the beltline(ok, 70 miles outside of the beltline) and some folks seem to think you're living in the 19th century.
As for what made me buy this place. Well when I first looked at it in 1990 or 91, it was in such bad shape, that despite seriously looking at it, I COULD NOT make myself make the offer. When it came up again 10 years later, I could not walk away again. Something to be said for living in the oldest house in the county(tho a couple folks might want to argue that point), but it's at the very least arguably the oldest house in the county. And there is definitely something to be said for living where there is not another house in sight(good AND bad, at least after the break ins, not to mention our recent and even more troubling problems). And it's nice every so often to see it thru the eyes of someone who is well, agog, cause you know, after a while, you do start to sort of take it all for granted, and it's just the house.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby James on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:33 am

Okay folks, I have a question for you, now that you have seen the place. Anyone out there done MAJOR chimney repair work, and if so, does the estimate I just got sound like it's in the ballpark? Sadly, I'm thinking it will be(just a darn expensive ballpark). Anyway report came back this week from the brickmason(whose work I have seen and he does do good work). For the chimney to the left as you face the front of the house in the pictures, that being the currently shorter of the two, $12,500. For the chimney on the right, $24,100.00. The higher priced one has two fireplaces, and a serious crack. The other only one fireplace. I'm pretty sure will mean only doing the lower priced one anytime too soon. Any appraisers out there with thoughts on how much REPAIRED chimneys would add to the value of the house? What I asked for in the estimates was to give me the price of getting them open, stable, and a lining, probably stainless steel, since that should be cheaper than the poured concrete balloon treatment, so I could use either wood or gas burning stoves set in the fireplaces. Have an idea that the chimneys will add to the value of the house, but by less than the cost of the repairs(but would LOVE to be wrong about that one). I do plan on getting some other estimates. Just figured that out of the group here someone should be pretty knowledgable on this subject.
At least he did not say he would NOT repair either, tho did say the high priced one was to the point of costing as much to repair as replace. The repairs on both chimneys also calls for restuccoing with lime morter, currently have portland on them, some 1940's absentee landlord substitute for a good repointing job. For tax credits will have to sell Cultural Resources on the idea that the stuccoing is irreversable. They have been saying for tax credits to undo that, if possible. How? The brick mason seems to think it's not possible, and he and I agree on that point. The idea is to stucco to the shoulder, and then completely rebuild the stacks and leave unstuccoed from there up. One other nearby old farmhouse out of the other side of the nearest small burg has that same arrangement and it actually looks pretty decent.
Any ideas y'all? Suggestions? Brickmasons in the NC/VA area desperately looking for work?
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby Federal Style on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:36 pm

James - I was intrigued by your signature of "Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage". On a hunch I decided to search the site for pics. of your house. All I can say is "Thank God" for people like yourself and the P.O. So many houses here in KY, in much better shape are torn down all the time. It's such a shame. Someday, the people of this state and other states will regret not doing more to preserve our history.

I think your house is great! I really like that interior wood door with all the hardware. Have you ever researched the history of the house? I would be interested in reading about that if you don't mind sharing.
Federal Style
William Moore House
Circa 1812
Federal Style

Postby S Melissa on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Maybe PM Federal style - he just had all his brick done and get an idea from him what that cost - I have to say that seems like a lot of money - but I have no basis upon which to judge. What's the tax credit going to refund you on such a project should they approve it? That would have to be part of the equation. but - still - lots of moola. Good luck with PNC on getting approval. Big PITA to get approved - but if there's a payback - it might be worth it!
Melissa
Canton, MI
S Melissa

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum