Update from Thomolli household

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Update from Thomolli household

Postby Thomolli on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm

We finally moved in on the 18th of Sept. We were to have the final electrical inspection on the 16th but he didn't make it. We had already made all the arrangement to move like shutting off utilities at the old house, truck rental etc...so we went ahead and moved. The inspector showed up bright and early the 19th and passed us with no probs, even though the electrician was worried because it was obvious we were now living in the house.

We moved in with no hot water or heat. I had to boil great big pots of water to clean and bathe with.

The brand new gas water heater that was in the basement when we bought the house turned out not to work. The pilot would light but not the burner and it didn't vent correctly. When it was on it made the house stink. DH went and taped the ducts up which helped a little but not enough to appease me. We replaced some parts under the warranty, but still no go. We decided we would go with an electric WH. As luck would have it our neighbor does work on houses and just happened to have a brand new electric WH he wanted to give us. Granted it is 120 gallons and a little overkill but great for free! DH and sons wrestled that monster into the basement and hooked up the plumbing to it and Tuesday the 27th the electrician hooked up the power. We had hot water in no time! Yay!

Next problem was the two boilers in the basement. DH and I knew nothing about boilers and had no idea if they were going to work. We saved them until last because of the way the 203k doles out the money. None of the plumbers I contacted wanted to potentially wait 6 months to be paid their final draw. We had the boiler guy come Tuesday the 27th also. (Oct. 6th is the deadline for having all the work done for the 203k 180 day stipulations.)

Boiler guy, Paul, had already been here before to give us an estimate so he got straight to work. First he installed check valves that automatically fill the tanks instead of us having to go down and manually do it. Then he set about replacing 2 drain valves, 2 pressure relief valves & piping, 1 temp/pressure gauge, 1 air valve and nipple, 1 gas valve & thermocouple, and cleaned the burner tubes and gas orifices. He went through the house and checked all the radiators, gave DH a couple keys to use to let the air out of the radiators, and walked him thorough yearly maintenance. All for the tidy sum of $750 bucks. When he left at 6pm the radiators were already getting hot and I was dancing a jig. DH set the thermostat to 80 to begin with not know what to expect. By bedtime he had turned it down 3 times, finally arriving at 72. When I got up this morning it was fabulous! Nice and toasty compared to usual. Most of our walls are brick and plaster, interior as well as exterior, so our house holds the cold. On the hottest days over the summer if you stood on the porch a cold breeze blew out at you.

Finally, it feels like a home. I am getting boxes unpacked and finding spots for all my treasures. We still have a very long way to go before it is finished but all the major things have been taken care of.

New in 2011:
Water heater, ALL the plumbing, all the electric updated from 30amp to 200amp, box gutters lined with copper, painted the exterior with Duration. All the ceilings are covered in acoustical tiles and on the first floor were all falling down. We took them all out insulated between first and second floors and put in new drywall ceilings. All the walls will remain plaster and DH is becoming quite the master plasterer.

I would like to say that so far this experience has really helped to strengthen our marriage. DH and I have learned new was of communicating with each other and have learned to compromise and give in when necessary and stand our ground on issues that are important to us, when called for. We function more as a team now than ever before and make decisions together. We are both very happy these days and looking forward to the next phase of restoration.
Thomolli

Re: Update from Thomolli household

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Wow, that is a great story! I am glad that the new old house is working out.
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby angolito on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Whew!!!! remembering those days.....
angolito

Postby pqtex on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for the post! I'm very happy for you. :D :D :D
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby SkipW on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Sounds great!

Love the ending, many homes do the opposite to marriages...

Congrats on your new living quarters!

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby Don M on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Sounds like you are good to go for the winter. Please post some pictures when you have time.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby S Melissa on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:54 pm

thomolli - Good for you. Most marriages are destroyed by housing re-habs - but a few do make it thru and prosper. Sounds like that's you two! Now you have some great stories to tell about heating water to bathe in and the super toasty heat you get from those big rads throughout the house. You will know every square inch of your house - what it's bumps and groans mean - where the plumbing runs are and which walls are supporting walls, and which aren't. You will know your house as intimately as you know your child. It's a great feeling. Congratulations!!! Enjoy her.
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby Don M on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Thomolli,
Have you posted pictures somewhere? I lived in Anchorage, KY as a kid & Kentucky has always been home to me in various ways. My Dad was an executive with Stewart Dry Goods on 4th & Walnut in Louisville.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Return to The Hangout Forum