dcsimg

The End of An Era -- sad sad sad

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: The End of An Era -- sad sad sad

Postby mrstan on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:05 pm

And sadly, most homes that are built today are made with such poor quality materials - they aren't made to last.
-Stan
mrstan

Postby Morningstarlet on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 am

I'm curious why newer homes won't last. If they are properly maintained won't they last as long as an old one? My home will be 20 years old next year and I can't see why it won't last another 50+ years. Can you explain what will cause a newer home to not last?
Morningstarlet

Postby mrstan on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 am

Just my opinion. Thats all - seems like most modern materials are purposely made to have a life expectancy. I live in a new home now (I rent) and the doors are hollow, the carpet has frayed and been patched in spots, the siding has already had sections replaced from things hitting it, a few windows look like they are gathering condensation inside.

In the community I live in, they have been building for three years, and neighbors, too, have had things replaced already.

PLUS, again in my opinion - the amount of time they put the houses up in - they can't take much care doing it.

I'm not insulting YOUR newer home, I am insulting MINE.
-Stan
mrstan

Postby Don M on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Quality construction with quality materials equals a quality building which will last but it's much more expensive than the mass built developments we see going up ev everywhere.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Morningstarlet on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 am

mrstan wrote:Just my opinion. Thats all - seems like most modern materials are purposely made to have a life expectancy. I live in a new home now (I rent) and the doors are hollow, the carpet has frayed and been patched in spots, the siding has already had sections replaced from things hitting it, a few windows look like they are gathering condensation inside.

In the community I live in, they have been building for three years, and neighbors, too, have had things replaced already.

PLUS, again in my opinion - the amount of time they put the houses up in - they can't take much care doing it.

I'm not insulting YOUR newer home, I am insulting MINE.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I'm not at all insulted, just curious is all.
Morningstarlet

Postby mrstan on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:06 am

I guess call you could call it, "mass production development issues" which hits close to home, since as I mentioned, I live in one now. It's nice - it's new but its also bland, poor quality, and 'soulless' :wink:
-Stan
mrstan

Postby Verve on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Morningstarlet wrote:I'm curious why newer homes won't last. If they are properly maintained won't they last as long as an old one? My home will be 20 years old next year and I can't see why it won't last another 50+ years. Can you explain what will cause a newer home to not last?

The main reason homes built today won't last the the test of time is because these wonderful homes built around the turn of the century and before are built with virgin timber. We'll never see wood of this quality and durability again, at least not in any of our lifetimes.
c. 1902 Shingle Victorian
Angela
Verve

Postby Sashguy on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Once upon a time, quality trumped profit and good materials were plentiful.
You can find it today, but you have to look really hard.
Sashguy

Postby ChrisF on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:32 pm

I won't argue the fact that there are some materials in our old houses that simply can't be obtained anymore (like old growth lumber). This does not, however, mean that everything produced today is utter garbage. Mass housing developments use "contractor-grade" (ie: cheapest available) materials everywhere...carpeting, electrical fixtures, siding, etc.

If you build a house yourself and opt for quality materials, I have no doubt that the house could certainly outlast all of us. The cost, however, is undoubtedly prohibitive for 90% of the population.
ChrisF

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum