My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

wletson

Re: My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

Post by wletson »

Mo! I don't think you've ever posted anything this controversial before.

I've taken the course you have to take here to be approved to apply for a licence. I know how to handle a rifle (never touched a pistol) I respect guns, but I don't know how to respond to your post.

I totally agree with you. At your size, I think it makes sense to be able to deter, or, if it came to it, defend yourself.

I agree with the fact that I don't know if I could ever point a gun at someone though. I'd love to have a little 22 or something around to get rid of rabid skunks, or stuff like that, but I don't know if I'd want a gun at arms reach.

So... no answer here! :lol:
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

Lynners wrote:
jade wrote:no piece of property is worth a human being's life
^^^ I agree with this, but I don't think that the OP here is saying "don't steal my stuff, I'll kill you", rather it's a deterrant (sp?). It's also bodily protection - in the event that some sorry excuse for a human being decides they'd like to kidnap, rape, or otherwise harm her. And who says everyone who owns a gun for protection would shoot to kill?! Maim them enough to be able to GET AWAY!
That's not how guns work.

First of all, how is it a deterrent? Does one put a sign on the house that says "I've got a gun"? Does one walk the streets brandishing it, just in case a robber is nearby? And if someone walks up behind you with a gun or knife in their hand, do you really think you'll have the chance to take out your gun and "deter" them?! Only on tv, my friend.

Second, one has to be a sharp shooter to aim for and hit a person's arm, hand, leg, etc. on purpose. And if they're moving, you've got to basically be a miracle worker. When you learn to shoot a gun, you learn to aim for the center of the body. Not just because it can do massive harm, but because if you aim for that, you've got at least a decent shot at hitting the person at all.

Now if we're talking about "home protection", add the fact that most everyday people don't train weekly with a gun. They don't train in low light. They don't train in close quarters. They don't train in situations where someone is firing back at them.

So when this threat breaks into someone's house, late at night, and someone is woken from a dead sleep, is terrified, can't see clearly in the house, and has to hide until they can figure out if the bad guy has a gun... you still think they have a shot of just wounding the bad guy?! Do you think they have a chance of hitting the guy at all?

And if they do, are they prepared to live with that? With the screaming, and the blood. With the horror of knowing that they have grievously harmed someone, or even taken their life?

Even cops don't pull their guns as soon as there's a threat. They train to AVOID situations where they have to use a gun. They have mace and nightsticks. They don't just see a bad guy and shoot. And these are the people whose JOB it is to stop crime!

Get some mace. It immobilizes a person so you can get away. Learn some basic self defense. It gives you the confidence to live your life without fearing bodily harm to the extent that you believe a gun will protect you. Get a security system for your house, so trained people can respond if there is a real threat.

And then live your life and without being dominated by fear.
Last edited by KristenS on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

*shrug*. It's a matter of opinion, clearly.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

Thank you all for your opinions & comments.

There actually have been some break-ins in my neighborhood over the last few months. I do plan on taking training classes & getting my concealed permit. I also work with many Federal Law Enforcement officers on a daily basis. From Air Marshalls, FBI and Secret Service. I have had a few tell me they'd be more than happy to meet me at the range & give me some 1 on 1 instruction.

This decision didn't come on a whim. I have been batting the idea around for a couple years now & have decided to do it. I plan on getting a fingerprint lock box for it and keep it there while I'm just home on my day off & such. Night time might be a different story.

I did have another friend tell me "don't mess around...get yourself a shotgun"! That is a decision for another day.

Bottom line, this is all about protecting me....not my property. I hope to never have to use it, but if I do, I want to be well educated & evern better trained.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

kat

Post by kat »

Own several

1st rule,dont threaten any one w it unless u are willing to kill them, an intruder can easily overpower u and kill u w ur own gun

Know who ur shooting at dont get scared in the middle of the night abd shoot a neughbor asking for help

Every gun is always considered loaded, even when ur positive its not, act like its loaded so u dont shoot u or somone else

Practice loading, unloadung, shooting so u r very comfortable

Enjoy ur right to protect urself

kat

Post by kat »

As a single woman I think we think different than men, often we are not worried about protecting belongings but our lives and rape, we dont have the physical strength to fight off attack, most men dont think if rape issue, whereas women uts un ourminds

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

Please speak for yourself, Kat. I'm a woman and I rarely if ever think about rape. And I have actually been sexually assaulted, so it's not like I'm living in a dream world.

Also, with the proper training, women can learn how to evade and escape even a large man. Not in every situation, of course. But the old "women are weak" chestnut is just bonkers.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

I can fully appreciate the concept of learning self defense. I would also consider taking some courses.

I don't constantly sit and worry about living alone, or travelling alone, and I would like to say that women are not the (physically) weaker sex, but the truth of the matter is, we are. At least I know I am, physically.

I used to be physically stronger than I am now, but after my surgery a year or so ago, I know that my upper body strength is no where near what it used to be. If someone broke into my home in the night, they could do whatever their derranged mind wanted to do, and there wouldn't be a damn thing I could do about it.

I'm just evening the odds a bit in my favor.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

khwils

Post by khwils »

This is likely to get ugly fast. I'm only stating my opinion.

I agree with many of the statements already. Pistols are adequate home defense but many factors stated above hold true - low light, practice, hitting a moving target, etc are issues.

If you have a gun if push comes to shove you have to use it, don't threaten and then have it taken away (as stated above - not mine)

I have guns, 2 are loaded for personal protection, not home protection, home protection it just a term, I'm not saving my house/property! In fact if it comes down to shooting I'm probably going to shoot the house too. I'll need to patch and paint and I don't even want to think about the EPA lead abatement issues here - haha(renovation content)!

I have a 12 ga. pump shotgun, holds 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. It has a 22" barrel(shorter than a hunting shotgun) with a pistol grip - it can spin around in a narrow hallway without getting stuck. It will hit large area at 10 - 15 ft so no careful aiming or near misses. I don't use 00 buck, I use 4/6 turkey loads, I don't know it it'll kill but I know it'll knock down. Even if I miss the noise and muzzle blast should be terrifying at the wrong end! If one shot isn't deterrent enough I have 6 more. It can hit more than one assailant at once and again I have 7 shots total if needed. It has a mounted flashlight - know who you are shooting. I have a pump because pumping a shell into the chamber makes a very loud and distinct noise any bad guy should recognize. I hope that's all it'll ever take with a little yelling and a 911 call.

my backup is a .45 auto with a spare clip for 14 shots you can squeeze off seven in a row as fast as you pull a trigger. If someone is in the room or hallway and I'm pointing I'm going to hit something.

I don't plan on ever shooting anyone but if someone enters my home knowing I am there I consider it an assault. I will give plenty of warning if I have time. I am a victim at this point, I am not going to be the dead one, I'd rather have to live with it than die for it.

Consider purchasing a 12 ga too, you can get one for $200.

A gun is an equaliizer no matter the size of either side and you don't have to work out.

I have a dog too.

Ask the young woman in Oklahoma If her assailant was going to stop. She protected herself and her young child, she didn't mess around to ask, he had a hunting knife, she shot immediately, she's not in jail. It took her assailant 20 minutes to break into her house while she was on the 911 call, how long do you think those 20 minutes of terror felt like? Where would you hide?

In the end it's a personal choice for everyone irregardless if you have a gun or not.
Last edited by khwils on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

kat

Post by kat »

I suppose,its all in everyones opinion and where they live and who with
And what their jobs teach them
There is,no way I can physically overpower a man

I dont sit around thinking about rape but having seen the dark side of the criminal mind know too much

U do u and I'll do me