rotary dial phone

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: rotary dial phone

Postby eclecticcottage on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:07 pm

Tujo wrote:How to make friends with me on the telephone - hang up!
I don't know what it is but I hate talking on the telephone, something about not being
able to see the other person makes it very awkward and unconfortable for me. After a
few minutes I start to feel almost claustraphobic and just have to get off the phone.

Ooo..I hate talking on the phone too! You can't see someone's expressions...I end up talking over people a lot because of that.

Rotaries are popular, we sell them in our vintage shop. We don't have a land line, or I'd have me an avocado or sky blue one.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby kat on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:10 pm

My parents had the same 2 black rotary phones the "rented" from the phone co since 1956, after they died in 2005, had phone disconnected, couldnt believe w all the phone co deregulation they still new we had those 2 phones and wanted them back misd them best sound quality, way better than any cordless
kat

Postby housecrazy sarah on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 pm

I grew up with a moss-green rotary phone in the house (1970's!)
check out my crazy (but humble) house blog: http://www.house-crazy.com/
housecrazy sarah

Postby YinzerMama on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 am

add me to the list of people who don't like to talk on the phone. I will email or text or stop in in person but I hate talking on the phone. And I hate when I do call and get voicemail, I feel like I end up babbling like an idiot way longer than the message warrants and then wrap with with "Anyway sorry this message is so long I'll talk to you later."

and we had a beige wall mount rotary phone with orange streaks under the dial, because my brother and I used to stick our vitamins in at 1 and work them around to 0, and pretend it was a candy dispenser!

They were hard orange m&m sized vitamins.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 am

My aunt gave me her repro candlestick rotary phone. When the power went out last summer none of those ever so special cordless phones worked. I put the rotary in the jack, got a dial tone and called in the power failure. Told the tech what I was calling in on and mentioned that new technology is basically at the mercy of electricity.... another reason why I have hand crank beaters, can opener and a gas stove and plenty of oil lamps in the house.....
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 am

I still have very strong memories of having to use a rotary phone for the first time. I guess I must have been around 5 or so and my parents only left me alone for a short time, but told me I could call them. For some reason I needed to call and started wrestling with the phone. It was an old odd party line system too, so first I had to push a button until I got the dial tone and then dial. I needed 2 or 3 attempts, but finally I mastered the phone and got the call through. When I was 7 we got a more modern phone (that was in the early 90s). That old system didn't even support touch-tone dialing, so even if you had a push-button phone you could hear the pulse click by as you dialed. The last old exchange was only shut down in 1999!
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby barrett on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 pm

We are getting fiber optic phone lines here real soon. The big, ugly box is already on the side of the house. Anybody know if these will work like the old phone lines, in regards to having the power come through them? Ya know, like how old phones work when the power is out? It would suck if I couldn't use my new old phone ever if it got no power.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby Don M on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 am

Good Question; I'll also be interested to know the answer as I have several low tech phones that work when the power is out!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby cs on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 am

barrett wrote:We are getting fiber optic phone lines here real soon. The big, ugly box is already on the side of the house. Anybody know if these will work like the old phone lines, in regards to having the power come through them? Ya know, like how old phones work when the power is out? It would suck if I couldn't use my new old phone ever if it got no power.

We have fiber optic, and our old rotary dial phone works just fine with it. Here's how our system works: the box on the outside of the house is Optical Network Terminal - this converts the signal to work with the house's copper wire. Since there is no longer a copper wire connection from the phone company (which previously carried power), the home's internal phone wiring needs to be powered from the home's regular AC power. There is a converter box in the basement that provides this charge to the ONT, but it is, of course, subject to household power outages. To protect against this, the converter box contains a rechargeable backup battery, which will power the home's phone system for eight hours of talk-time (supposedly - I have never had to test the battery life yet).

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby Don M on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 am

Good to know; thanks!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum