dcsimg

question for old house owners...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: question for old house owners...

Postby eclecticcottage on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 am

I don't know about either the Old House or the Cottage. I do know previous owners of both passed away while they owned them, but I don't know where. The Old House had an "it" that liked to mess with people-hiding keys then putting back where you've already looked for them, etc. "it" hasn't been around in years though.

We looked at a house that the PO had passed in (quite recently-right before it went for sale). Not sure if it truly was a natural death or not. The man was in his 40's, recently married but in a pile of debt. In fact, the house was "sold" to new owners, is up for an IRS auction AND a county tax auction at the moment-all because of liens.

We looked at another house years ago that keeps changing owners. The agent wouldn't even come in with us to show it when we looked at it (it was a HUD house). We felt it had a nice vibe, but apparently we were in the minority. I think the current owners have been there about 4 years, the longest since we looked at it about 10 years ago. Never could find anything about it death wise, except it was built @ 1820 so it probably did have someone pass in it.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby kathyd on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:Something like The Amityville Horror wouldn't bother me so much.

It's an old house with character.

Ya just tell it, "Behave! Or I'll call in H&G TV and we'll do the whole shooting match! Vinyl siding, replacement windows, open floor-plan, etc."

Walls bleeding? "Time to rip out the plaster. We'll just panel over it with composite paneling!"

:)

Someone dying in the house wouldn't bother me, I'm sure it has probably happened. However, I would probably steer away from Amityville Horror or Exorcist type events.
kathyd

Postby bofusmosby on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:Something like The Amityville Horror wouldn't bother me so much.

:)

If this were true with my house :roll: , the spirits would probably get sick of me, and move out. Just my luck..........
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby Tom and Jada on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am

There have been at least four natural deaths in our house, ranging from 1919 (elderly gentleman hit with the last wave of the Spanish Flu) through 1967. Doesn't bother me a bit. We all have to do it sometime and we have to be somewhere when we do. I'd much rather be at home when my time comes. At least three of the four had their wake in the living room. That's how the older generations did it. I can remember an aunt of mine who passed away in 1984 was waked in her living room.

The house next door to us is another story. It has been empty for several years and according to one of the neighbors, the previous owner's son was severely mentally ill and took the top of his head off with a 12 gauge in there. This happened in the early 1990s. It may be all psychological, but no one in the neighborhood likes that house and people have had some strange experiences there. A neighborhood handyman who was working on it last year told me that house made a believer out of him. He said he would hear sounds of someone walking upstairs, experienced things moving on their own, doors slamming shut, etc. The family that owns it still maintains it, but they spend as little time as possible there when they show up to take care of something. If anyone ever moves in there again, I will tell them that I highly recommend having a priest bless the place before they get settled in.

As for a house that used to be a funeral home, it wouldn't bother me. If I were a lost soul still lingering on this Earth, I think a funeral home is the last place I would want to haunt. I'd be more concerned about hazardous items like contaminated needles and scalpels that had been improperly disposed of than spirits! :lol:
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com
Tom and Jada

Postby James on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 pm

The small town closest to me has a house, circa 1850 or so, that was a funeral home from at least the 30's or 40's on to sometime in the last decade when it was sold back to a private house. The lady lives there now sleeps in the room where her mother and her grandmother's funerals were held. Not so sure I would like that, but hey if it doesn't bother her.
And as for people dying in a house, my fathers house, which was new when he bought it(1950), has had two people die in it, his sister(do not get me started on that creature), and my mother. We went to great pains to get her moved out of the hospital and back home at the last because the hospital was no longer serving any purpose and she wanted to die at home. We got her back for the last 8 days and I have never gotten any sense of anything eerie or different at the house since then.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum