what did you get done on your house today?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: what did you get done on your house today?

Postby pqtex on Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

by chooseopen on Tue May 29, 2012 8:55 pm

I took delivery of a pair of double doors today. They will replace the back door that leads from the kitchen to back porch/yard. SO EXCITED! I cant wait

Beautiful!
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby sooth on Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 am

Wow!
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby Hoosier Foursquare on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Had a chance to work on our upstairs hall bath. It was a total gut due to the floor joists being goofed up which was causing sagging. That problem was fixed and now I am in the process of finishing it.

I got the majority of the drywall up with the exception of the east facing wall. To make room for the drywall, I had to re-remove the radiator which meant draining the boiler down. The rad had been previously removed to facilitate all of the floor work so I knew It would come out without a fight. I'm going to sandblast it and repaint prior to re-installation.

I had one other task to accomplish prior to the east wall going up, re-rope the window. It went pretty well. It was my first time doing it and it was very rewarding. My wife and I attended a historic window preservation course about 9 months ago and it really paid off!

Here's a few pictures.
Attachments
IMG_7000.JPG
IMG_7000.JPG (150.5 KiB) Viewed 7922 times
IMG_6999.JPG
IMG_6999.JPG (168.9 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
IMG_7011.JPG
IMG_7011.JPG (106.76 KiB) Viewed 7917 times
Hoosier Foursquare

Postby kathyd on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:57 pm

I began to tear down the gigantic vines growing through the neighbor's fence onto my property. I originally gave my grown son the job, but he worked for a few minutes and managed to destroy the electric trimmer on the rusty chain link fence that they're growing on. Since the neighbor's towering dead tree was removed on Saturday, I can now walk out onto the brick retaining wall to trim them. I will need a saw for some because the roots are gigantic. I was even bad and went through the gate to his side of the property since I can't possibly get them from my side. They've totally destroyed his fence as well as the lattice that his wife had put up so they didn't have to look onto our property.
kathyd

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 am

After living with the torn apart bathroom for almost 6 years in the hopes I could just get it repaired right, I finally threw the towel in, fixed the wall a bit and painted it and refinished the sink cabinet and the one hanging up on the wall.

The subfloor still needs to be fixed some time in the future, but the house and the dog getting sick this spring has done such a job on us that the money is all gone. I have to wait just to buy the new handles and the hinges because I didn't like the industrial looking ones that were on there. So I will probably be waiting till next year at least to have the bath done the right way, replacing the sub floor is a job is beyond my husband and I with no carpentry skills. My husband can't measure (has me constantly check him) or make things level. So we need to have it done right by a professional who has told us this whole thing including fixing the vent pipe and ceiling about 5 grand.

I have only sunk $100 and 3 days into it so far and the room looks better already.

I know it is case of touching up the negatives instead of getting the operation, but what can you do???? :?
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby steponmebbbboom on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Well I didn't get it done today, but I'm still sore from it...

In-process dig 18" down after clearing sod, all soil donated to local community garden

First load of 2" clear gravel for drainage (try moving this by hand)

2" clear laid and compacted, second load of 3/4" crusher run with fines received

3/4" crusher run laid and compacted. Ready for new curbcut approach work

All above work done alone, by hand, 14 cu. yd of soil removed (15 mt) 5 cu. yd of 2" clear (7mt) and 4 cu. yd of 3/4 TB (6mt) laid and compacted with 20x20 plate
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"
steponmebbbboom

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 am

First load of 2" clear gravel for drainage (try moving this by hand)

Been there, done that... 2 wheelbarrows and shovels, nothing else.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby utopia13 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:49 am

Well...it's not as physical as the work so many of you are doing, but I got the approval from the underwriters to refi my mortgage & save me over $400 every month to put back into the house! :D

That will get my roof scraped, repaired & repainted much much sooner!!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby wletson on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 am

Super good news Mo! $400 per month is a big change!
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Texas_Ranger on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 pm

We nearly killed each other trying to decide on tile for the bathroom. The anger subsided after a nice shouting match and we MIGHT have found a solution, but I'm not sure yet (participants: me, my parents and one of my brothers).
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum