dcsimg

Get it right Mr. Holmes

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Get it right Mr. Holmes

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 am

Watching HOH today and something got me mad. Does Mike know the difference between level and Plumb?
Several times while he was installing door jambs and header he referred
to Level when he really meant Plumb. Arrrgh!
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Re: Get it right Mr. Holmes

Postby Daniel Meyer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm

He's preaching to the masses.

3/4's of the population can't hold a screwdriver by the correct end.

Dumb it down for 'em.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby Sashguy on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:17 am

OMG, your quarter round was cut 1/16" too short.... We're going to have to rip out your walls :)
Sashguy

Postby angolito on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:52 am

holmes is an idiot.
angolito

Postby angolito on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 am

i am about to completely boycott hgtv. this property brothers episode ripping out walls and destroying a pristine dining room and soaring hallway in favor of an OPEN FLOOR PLAN has me screaming at the tube. :evil:

DAMMIT if these people want an open floor plan please friggin use an old house that someone has Already Screwed Up.
angolito

Postby cadrad on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 pm

you are missing a switchplate cover!... were going to need to rewire your whole house just to be sure your children are safe!
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby catgb56 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 pm

angolito wrote:i am about to completely boycott hgtv. this property brothers episode ripping out walls and destroying a pristine dining room and soaring hallway in favor of an OPEN FLOOR PLAN has me screaming at the tube. :evil:

DAMMIT if these people want an open floor plan please friggin use an old house that someone has Already Screwed Up.

No kidding!!! I am forever screaming at the tv when these idiots are tearing out walls, ripping out perfectly good bathrooms, kitchens - same thing with the show (can't think of the name of it), where they show you the potential of a perfectly good house to suit the morons who need to have that open feeling, that great big room because they constantly entertain. If you entertain that much move into a banquet hall! If you are looking for an open floor plan - look at the friggin' mcmansions or the already screwed up ones like Angolito said. HGTV is really getting bad. That renovation show with the girl from MN - she's good....so far.
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon
catgb56

Postby steponmebbbboom on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 am

you can't make easy money from smart people. how's that old saying go about a fool and their money? How did Furniture on the Mend, Hometime, and This Old House get their start? On PBS!
HGTV is a network designed to pry money from dumb suburbanites. I watched Holmes shoot one of his specials in the courtyard right outside my old shop! He has his target audience, and we are not it.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"
steponmebbbboom

Postby markwright247 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:19 am

Oh I find it damn irritating!
markwright247

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Yep..I find Holmes very annoying. He cant do Trim Carpentry either. I watched an episode where he really "bodged" nailing
his trim. I trained my self and I can do better than him. I see that HGTV is auditioning for a new TV Contractor. What a nice
little money earner.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum