dcsimg

the saddest house in NYC

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: the saddest house in NYC

Postby Theresse on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 am

RETCHING here. This is incredibly upsetting. Especially knowing who lived there before and what the house meant to her. I feel sick, really... :(
Theresse

Postby eperot on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Why, oh why? There are lots of people in this world who just don't "get it". The Ginzo who did this mayhem probably also built the matching beach house on the island my folks lived on in Massachusetts. Lots of little cottages, gray shingled with white siding, and then BLOTTO! Three story McMansion in half brick, half stucco with a grand sweeping staircase and a lion's head fountain...plus white aluminum fence and gates across the front. Do Italians have a thing for gates? Not to offend all Italians...just the stereotypical ones who perpetrate these abortions.
Jacob Beaty House - c.1874
eperot

Postby KathyJB on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:22 pm

gross! sick!
KathyJB

Postby Morningstarlet on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:28 am

housecrazy sarah wrote:
HOWEVER, I do strongly believe in my heart of hearts that this house was wronged, and hey, houses have feelings too!

In my humble opinion, this home was denied its inalienable right to peacefully exist. A long-standing historic item like this – which has seen two Worlds Wars, The Great Depression and countless other episodes of history should have some rights of its own that supercede the individual rights of a Homo sapien whose subjective tastes and whims vary like puffs of fleeting smoke.

You can read the rest of my ramblings here:
http://www.house-crazy.com/the-great-de ... rs-rights/

Wow, I'm almost afraid to post here for fear of being lynched. I love old homes, and after seeing so many of them torn down in my hometown (Arlington Virginia), I feel relieved when I see a house remodeled rather than torn down. I too hate to see history being lost .. but to say a house has feelings is a little strange. It is a HOUSE, not a person. The house still has it's characteristics ... such as the oval windows in front. And in my opinion the changes make it more cheerful and inviting. Just be thankful it's still standing, and not torn down to make room for overpriced townhomes.
Morningstarlet

Postby StarryNight on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 pm

That made me sick to my stomach. How sad :(

In my neighborhood of 19th century brownstones, someone just mucked one up by covering it with the same adobe/peach stucco. It's hideous now, and it makes the whole block look bad. :evil:
StarryNight

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum