dcsimg

We built a Chicken Bungalow!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: We built a Chicken Bungalow!

Postby pqtex on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 pm

steponmebbbboom wrote:nice.
unfortunately the ship has sailed on urban chickens in our town. something about viruses. Would be a great step forward in food security, but our city is not known for progressive decision-making.

We're allowed chickens, but not roosters. There's also a restriction on how close their coop can be to any dwelling. I have an old chicken coop on my property, but it hasn't been used in decades. Well, not for chickens. We have some garden furniture stored in it and some assorted junk.

We're also allowed other animals, and there's a formula for how many you can keep based on land size.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby artfox on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 am

Your chickens have a beautiful place to live and work! Someone in my neighborhood (don't know who) keeps chickens and occasionally, one escapes.The other day, I came home and found a pretty, multicolored little hen casually strolling around my fenced back yard. For obvious reasons, I didn't dare let my terrier out until the visitor had gone.
artfox

Postby lisascenic on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 am

steponmebbbboom wrote:nice.
unfortunately the ship has sailed on urban chickens in our town. something about viruses. Would be a great step forward in food security, but our city is not known for progressive decision-making.

That's crazy. The Backyard Chickens Forum has lots of resources for folks wanting to change local laws.

I grew up in Maryland, home of huge-scale chicken farming. I could go on and on about the horrors of large-scale chicken production, but it's just too disgusting. I'll just say this: backyard chickens are not the health risk. It's the big guys. (Duh.)
lisascenic

Postby KathyJB on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:54 pm

My chicken ranch is coming along. I'm trying to figure out what you call that extra ornamentation on wood screed doors is. I want to froo-froo up my screen door inside. I hesitate to show picture because it's not clean inside yet. All we have to do for the chicken part is put up the run and then add chickens. Oh heck, here's a few pictures. We have the chicken side all painted white and the nest boxes and roost is up and painted. When we are done with the chicken side I'll be really happy. :lol:
Attachments
back.jpg
back.jpg (110.36 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
chicken ranch 001.JPG
chicken ranch 001.JPG (180.06 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
KathyJB

Postby lisascenic on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

One of our hens has started laying and we're getting wee "beginner" eggs.
lisascenic

Postby KathyJB on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:36 pm

lisascenic wrote:One of our hens has started laying and we're getting wee "beginner" eggs.

Sweet! It will be a while before I start getting eggs.
KathyJB

Postby Benzema76 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:53 am

Yours chicken probably are most happy in the world, such a good live conditions, many poor people has worse live conditions then yours chicken :shock:
Benzema76

Postby KathyJB on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 am

Really :|
KathyJB

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum