dcsimg

Anyone else build homes for their pets?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Anyone else build homes for their pets?

Postby KathyJB on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:40 pm

I really loved the chicken bungalow lisascenic's hubby built and was thinking there was others here who built buildings to match their homes for their pets?
I'm determined to get my chicken house out of the 80% mode. Got the outside painted! It's beige and blue. I'm currently working on painting a diamond pattern on the floor on the feed storage side of the building.
Attachments
2012-08-05_19-56-31_18 (800x434).jpg
2012-08-05_19-56-31_18 (800x434).jpg (233.41 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
KathyJB

Re: Anyone else build homes for their pets?

Postby CountryGirl on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Kathy, that looks so nice. It must be a good time to be a chicken, such a nice house
and bungalow. :)

Susan
CountryGirl

Postby KathyJB on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 pm

It's just a little barn kit from the lumber yard and we added the windows, back door and middle screen door. It's not that fancy, but i am trying to do what i can with paint. We used the old dog pens and shade for the run.
Our dogs are fenced in along with the chickens. Hubby bought me a bred holstein heifer and are wanting to bring her up as well when she is due. My little farm in town.
KathyJB

Postby KathyJB on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm

I wanted to try something different with the floor and since the commercial vinyl tiles were too costly for me to consider, I painted my own diamond pattern. Not bad for a blonde :lol: I painted 2 coats of the white porch paint first. For the blue I put a little of the trim paint in an almost empty gallon can of porch paint and mixed. It was hard on the bum painting it, but I really like the results. I'm having fun with this project even though it's like 100+ inside but the big fan helps.
Attachments
floor.jpg
floor.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 8129 times
KathyJB

Postby CountryGirl on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Kathy, Looks Great :) Very clever and exceptionally neat work!

Susan
CountryGirl

Postby KathyJB on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks Susan. I like the look of a painted floor :D I'm anxious to see how it will wear when being walked on. I did things backwards though, should have painted the walls first, now I have to cover the floor. :roll: Since it's August it's pretty warm, 9 pm and still 92 here so I guess I'll be insulating the ceiling somehow. It gets warm inside until about 3 am I'm guessing. I keep a fan on for my feathered friends 24/7
KathyJB

Postby wletson on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 am

KathyJB wrote:now I have to cover the floor. :roll:

KathyJB wrote: Not bad for a blonde

:lol:

Looks really nice Kathy! I did something similar to the porch floor at our last place and it lasted really well, even getting rained on, so you should be good for quite a while with that floor.

I built a house for an outdoor cat we had for a while, but I don't have a picture of it. I'll try to remember to take a pic sometime.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:46 am

:lol:
Looks really nice Kathy! I did something similar to the porch floor at our last place and it lasted really well, even getting rained on, so you should be good for quite a while with that floor.

I built a house for an outdoor cat we had for a while, but I don't have a picture of it. I'll try to remember to take a pic sometime.

Thank you Warren. I appreciate your info on the floor. I've been taking off my shoes and walking on it, lol. I have to cover it when I paint the walls because I am the world's sloppiest painter. :D I haven't done anymore work because I am trying to figure the best cost effective way to run electricity in there from the laundry house south of it. It's a toss up between running a pipe through part of the roof to keep it up high (plus it's the shortest distance) or at an angle to the front or back of the coop. I have to wait for my W to get out of the hay field for suggestions.
KathyJB

Postby wletson on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 am

Is the laundry house the building right behind the chicken mansion? Doesn't look like it is very far. Running power through a conduit from roof to roof sounds like the best choice.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Return to The Hangout Forum