dcsimg

Neighbors disrespecting property boundaries

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Neighbors disrespecting property boundaries

Postby downtowndahlgren on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Although my house is in a very small community, it is adjacent to the secondary main road into it (supposed to be 2 lanes but is really 1 1/2). Speed limit 25 mph and no sidewalks, so I'm used to people occasionally walking in the ditch to avoid the dyslexic drivers who read the speed limit as 52 mph. Somethimes the schoolkids will trespass with their bikes, but that has slowed down since the last group of crappy renters moved out. But today takes the cake! I watched a young woman and a girl go up the street, but didn't see them go past the front room window. I thought they were taking shelter from the rain under the large magnolia next to the street. Nope - the girl was CLIMBING up the magnolia tree while the woman watched her. I yelled at them to get out of the tree and the yard; then I apologized for the yelling. On what planet would people even think it was OK to go into someone else's yard and start climbing a tree? Geez Louise!
downtowndahlgren

Re: Neighbors disrespecting property boundaries

Postby kathyd on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Here's a good one. Our house is just up the hill from downtown. During the summer, there is a block party downtown, just once a month. People park on the hill and walk down to the party. Our house is on a narrow lot, with only about a 3 foot walk on either side. My husband and son were standing outside one night on the front porch with no lights on. They watched two girls walk right up on the side of the porch and drop their pants to relieve themselves. Boy did they jump when my husband asked what they were doing.
kathyd

Postby pqtex on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 pm

We have a neighbor who set up a disc frisbee course on his three acres shortly after he bought the property, about 5 years ago. He has never respected our boundaries. He asked permission to include our property for a tournament, which we denied. He played on it anyway, saying my brother gave permission (part of it was my parents' property), which I knew he had not.

On a later occasion, he admitted to me accidentally trampling seedlings in our garden (a few feet from the property line) to retrieve frisbees, but a few hours later told my husband that he had never-ever set foot in our garden.

His roommate bought a go-cart and dirt bike for his kids to use when they had weekend visits. They rode them through my mother's yard through a break in her fence, and into our yard from hers, using the mulch mounds for our future fruit trees as an obstacle course, knocking down stakes that marked where the trees were to be planted. He wasn't home at the time and the kids were unsupervised, but my husband read him the riot act over that incident. They had already had a discussion about it because they were riding the go cart and dirt bike past our boundaries the day before.

Our yard does not have a fence (yet) but we would if we could afford it. We requested an estimate from a fence company, but the sales person came at the wrong time and I wasn't home. The neighbor saw the sales person looking at the yard and went and asked questions. When I got home, he asked if we were putting up a fence and said that he didn't want us to have a fence because he likes the wide open space and because he wanted to be able to continue using our pecan trees as obstacles for his frisbee games--which we have already told him not to do. He said that if we had to put up a fence, he'd pay for a gate to be installed so they wouldn't have to climb the fence. :shock: I said if we had a fence installed, there would be no climbing it.

Just last weekend I saw them using our back yard as a playing field. My husband is playing it low key until after we get the fence installed.

He isn't a bad person, but he simply does not understand boundaries. I also think he does not mean any harm and can't remember the truth. Drives me crazy and I can't wait to have a fence and lots of thorny plants (long, mean thorns) all along the fence.

I also don't understand how people can miss two big yellow "DEAD END" signs the size of a stop sign at the intersection to our street. I wonder what part of "dead end" they can't read, and if they really think that if they continue driving past the paved street onto our shell driveway (there are fence posts with Private Property-No Trespassing signs on each side of the drive) that our driveway will miraculously lead them somewhere other than to our garage (which they can see from the driveway entrance). They must, because we have seen them drive through our grass through my mother's yard to the street that her house fronts. Yes, we need gates and fences and a driveway monitor that alerts us and perhaps plays the sound of gunfire when they cross the field of the motion sensor. We do have a chain that we attach between the fence posts at night, and we have lots of reflectors on it, and that has eliminated some of the "drive-thrus" at night, but it only a bandaid temporary measure.

You rattled my cage but good on this topic!

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby pqtex on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 pm

We also have a neighbor a couple of houses up the street from us that walks her dog every morning. Our street is short. There are only 11 houses on it...five on each side, with us at the end--the street ends at our driveway. Property sizes range from 1-5 acres. This lady has one of the larger properties, maybe even larger than 5 acres, and her house is set well back from the street. I guess she doesn't want the dog to poop in HER yard, so she walks up and down the street with him running loose--never on a leash. What gets me is that she WATCHES him leave the side of the road with plenty of grassy space to get well into neighbors' yards to do his thing. That drives me crazy, too, even though she usually doesn't get this far down with him. Maybe she heard me yelling at him one day to "GO HOME," so don't feel guilty that you yelled at the kid to get out of your tree. I probably would have done the same thing; then felt guilty afterwards, too.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby utopia13 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 pm

My back yard butts right up to the alley. Unfortunately, I have no fence :evil: So anywho...one morning last week I woke up & let the cat out to the back porch & what do I see??? A car parked in my back yard, parallel with the alley! What the...????

So...I thought about it....OK, decided not to have him towed, but I left him a nice note telling him how lucky he was that his car was still there. I then sprinlkled very tiny birdseed all over the dew on his windows & made sure to take my fingers & mix it all up & such so his windows were all decorated.

I can do that....right? :twisted:

I watched from the back porch when he came out....hahaha. He was none too happy. He got one chance. Next time...tow truck.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby downtowndahlgren on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Gosh, at least I'm not the only person having these problems with neighbors lacking boundaries. And it's not the "regular" neighbors, it's definitely the ones who live in the slumlord's properties, since he doesn't get the cream of the crop tenants. I do have a small portion of the yard fenced, but it's for the two cats that do go out to enjoy the outdoors. I can't afford to fence the complete yard, or even the whole street side, plus it would interfere with the magnolia's root system anyway, and that tree is the delight of my yard. So I guess I will post signs (which will be ignored), and maybe line the ditches with concealed rat-traps, if that's legal (or even if not). Worth a try? Hey, if they can't or won't read a sign, a pinched foot might do the trick. :mrgreen:
downtowndahlgren

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 am

Just read this post...Join the club...my neighbor regularly rides his ATV through a break in the bush and up and down my
driveway. One day I even caught his friend trying to drop a round bale over the fence, that was on the end of the bale spike
on his tractor while the tractor was on our side of the property line. He has 50 acres could he not improve access to his cow
patch. We have only 81/2 acres. We bought this place because we thought it was very private ( huge set back from road and
other houses). ARRRRGGG!!!...
The road is way down there at the furthest tree line..The neighbor is pretty much the same distance away.
Attachments
more tile work 003.JPG
more tile work 003.JPG (118.98 KiB) Viewed 10339 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby nowwhat? on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:46 am

I live too close to one neighbour and they all would walk through my backyard. At the time I couldn't afford a fence so I moved a bunch of shrub rose bushes to the property line a couple years ago. They are now 6 feet tall. Roses have thorns...they don't cut through the yard anymore.
nowwhat?

Return to The Hangout Forum