Attempted break in....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Attempted break in....

Postby JRC on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 am

Sorry to hear about your "troubles," as my aunt said to me when I actually was burglarized a few years ago. :(

I left a first floor window open, that I thought was innaccessible, one cool summer night. Thankfully, they did no damage, and only--carefully--stole my flatscreen TV, and computer monitor. Still, it wasn't a pleasant feeling knowing that an uninvited stranger had been in my house.
JRC

Postby triguy128 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 am

I'm getting fucnitoning dead bolts added ot all of our doors, repalced one flood light with a photo sensor that lits up the driveway beside/below the house and always leave the post light out front on with a photo sensor. i may add a flood light out bakc with a motion sensor too, but I need to do some rewiring first so I can power it independant fom 2 outlets 2 interior lights and a porch light that are all on the original porch light circuit (porch was enclosed in the 40's and i guess it was too hard to run seperate circuits).

We also keep our storm doors locked too, so they have to pry that open first. Not hard, but it would take a little time, be conspicous and be noisy. Anything to make breaking in a little harder is good. The storm windows also act as a 2nd level of security, They'd have to break 2 windows to get in that way.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby utopia13 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks for all the info everyone! I will be receiving tomorrow - 3 motion sensors & one motion light that all are connected to a base wirelessly. They are set up by *beeps* I can choose which sensor is associated with which beep. The base can take up to 8 external devices, so I'll see how I like this & maybe add to it if I need to.

I will also be adding a deadbolt to my driveway side door.

I keep all my storms locked as well. It's not like they are strong or anything, but anything that can make the potential break in take that much longer...I'm all for it!

I'm not going to sit home in fear...but I will be prepared from now on. As much as I possibly can anyway...
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby SkipW on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Can you post a link to the beeping wireless motion detectors? Sounds like a nice package. Thanks.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby utopia13 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm

SkipW wrote:Can you post a link to the beeping wireless motion detectors? Sounds like a nice package. Thanks.

I got it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ISVJL6/ref ... 3C_SC_dp_2

I bought 2 extra sensors & the light. Signed up for their Amazon Prime & get free 2-day shipping for 1 month. I also set up an alert for 4 days before it ends so I can cancel!

The package I got was $102.33 total
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby SkipW on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:35 pm

This may seem like a goofy question, but do you know if the base is plug in or battery operated like the sensor? That would make it easy to carry with you if need be....I can't tell from the listing.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby utopia13 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Skip....I found this unit on Lowes website and from what I read there, it has an ac adapter & also will run on 8 (ouch) AA batteries. The battery backup is a good thing if the power goes out.

It's not real clear if the unit comes with the AC power supply, but I will gladly get it if this system proves to work as folks say it does. I read several reviews where folks complained about it, but I think their setup likely just needs some tweaking. Or they are expecting miracles from a system that costs about $100.

I just want to be alerted....if it does that...I'll be happy!

I'll certainly be the guinea pig for this & let you all know how it works
Edit: Got it all today. This comes with AC power supply in the box! Base takes 4 AA batteries (optional) in case of power outage. Each sensor takes 4 AA's & the light takes what appears to be 3 D's. Didn't look at the sheet, but the holes look to be too large for C's.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by utopia13 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby pqtex on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Don't forget to post warning signs...
warning 3.jpg
warning 3.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 10598 times
Last edited by pqtex on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Tom on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Hey Utopia, I doubt you could find 3" or 2.5" screws in flathead. Its hard to screw them in with just the one slot. I have tried the brass screws and the heads just always strip out. Brass screws just do not seem to work when they are too long. It takes more effort to screw in those long screws.
Tom
Tom

Postby utopia13 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:45 am

Tom wrote:Hey Utopia, I doubt you could find 3" or 2.5" screws in flathead. Its hard to screw them in with just the one slot. I have tried the brass screws and the heads just always strip out. Brass screws just do not seem to work when they are too long. It takes more effort to screw in those long screws.

Hi Tom...I figured it was nearly impossible to find those. I just said that for all us purists out there! Just kiddin! :D
The first couple days after this...when I went into work, I didn't feel too anxious or anything about what happened. Today, different story. My gut is in total knots. I'm here at work & won't be home until 10 tonight, and I just feel like crap. I suppose this is some sort of normal delayed reaction. I've never been in a position like this before.

I worry about my kitty... :(

I just wish things were how they used to be. I always felt safe there. Almost protected, ya know?
Come join us!!!

utopia13

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum